Biting, jumping, scratching, barking, growling........HELP!!

Thread: Biting, jumping, scratching, barking, growling........HELP!!

Max091007 is offline Junior Member

DefaultBiting, jumping, scratching, barking, growling........HELP!!

My black lab puppy Max is 9 months old. Just this past week he has started acting out. He jumps on me & my husband, when we try to dicipline him he goes at us even more. We can't even eat without standing up and walking around because if you try to do anything where you are not giving him attention, he jumps and barks. He tries to bite, nip, he growls (not mean but playful) he scratches, he runs all over the house like a psycho. We try to ignore him, turn our backs, leave the room etc, nothing works! There were a couple times I tried to pin him down and calm him down but all he does is squirm like a maniac and try to bite me. I am hoping that this is just puppy behavior that he will outgrow. Any advice you can give or even sharing a similar experience so I don't feel like I have the only "bad lab" would be great!! Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Biting, jumping, scratching, barking, growling........HELP!!

quick reply before work:

-structure in his daily routine
    -exercise (physical and mental)
    -obedience training
    -neutering

Dave121 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Max091007
    My black lab puppy Max is 9 months old. Just this past week he has started acting out. He jumps on me & my husband, when we try to dicipline him he goes at us even more. We can't even eat without standing up and walking around because if you try to do anything where you are not giving him attention, he jumps and barks. He tries to bite, nip, he growls (not mean but playful) he scratches, he runs all over the house like a psycho. We try to ignore him, turn our backs, leave the room etc, nothing works! There were a couple times I tried to pin him down and calm him down but all he does is squirm like a maniac and try to bite me. I am hoping that this is just puppy behavior that he will outgrow. Any advice you can give or even sharing a similar experience so I don't feel like I have the only "bad lab" would be great!! Thanks
    Our lab is 7 1/2 months old and going through a similar phase. He is still extremely mouthy and likes to roll on his back kicking and biting (softly). He also runs round the room like a loon at times and then jumps at us. I think it is a puppy thing. We correct him with a firm tug on the collar and a "NO". If he barks/growls at us for attention we ignore him and if he continues we remove him to a different room where he is left alone for several minutes.

He is our first puppy and these are just things we have been taught to do.

.....needless to say you are not alone.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Max091007
    i recommend NILIF to anyone! may just work alongside training and exercise

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

He's going through his "teenage" phase. He's being rebellious and testing you to see what he can get away with. I have a 9 month old Golden Retriever who just went through something similar. Don't give in and reinforce his obedience training now more than ever!!!

Good luck!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Max091007 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! It's nice to know I'm not alone and its just a phase. I will most definately reinforce his training