can i bathe him yet???

Thread: can i bathe him yet???

Bradman is offline Junior Member

Defaultcan i bathe him yet???

we have had our puppy for nearly a week now and are crate training him which seemed to be going well. this morning when ive got up, he had peed all over his crate and now stinks! Is there a way that i can clean him to get rid of the smell without bathing him as i think he may still be too young (nearly10 weeks). thanks sooo much in advance

1 very smelly pup owner

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: can i bathe him yet???

you can bathe him
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I think it´s an old lady´s tale about not bathing puppies, unless the pup is weak or ill. If the weather is nice and warm and you bathe him with warm water and dry him very well he´ll be a clean happy pup afterwards rolling on the mud

When was he vaccinated? that´s the only concern because I think you should not bathe them for a couple of days afterwards.

Homer had an accident in a friend´s pool the day after I got him (he was 10wks at that time), he fell in the pool, and absolutely nothing happened to him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

^ Our pup was bred on a farm and lived in a breeding barn. We got him at 9 weeks and he stuck like a farm animal.

We had to wash him twice the next day! He was disgusting the first time, the second time was more of a 'polishing' step as he still smelled a bit.

baby belle is offline Senior Member

I bathe my girlie who is now just about 8 months old every 2 weeks!! It may be a bit much but she has never had a reaction like dry coat, skin, etc. she loves bath time and she smells so good all the time!! Everyone says she doesn't smell like a dog. They also think i am a bit much with the bathing but hey it works for us!!

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by baby belle
    I bathe my girlie who is now just about 8 months old every 2 weeks!! It may be a bit much but she has never had a reaction like dry coat, skin, etc. she loves bath time and she smells so good all the time!! Everyone says she doesn't smell like a dog. They also think i am a bit much with the bathing but hey it works for us!!
    You could be taking the oils out of her coat with all of those baths. An alternative is to use a solution of half water and half mouthwash. Just spritz the dog off (covering the eyes of course) and toweling off.
    Olie

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Below is a copy of a post I've often made:

DO NOT USE HUMAN SHAMPOO (adult, baby, male, female, etc.)

Human skin (adult, baby, male, female, etc.) is many times more acidic than dog skin. Human skin is around 5.5 on the logarithmic pH scale (1=most acidic, 7=neutral, 14=most alkaline) while dogs are around 7. If any human shampoo is properly formulated, it will irritate dogs' skin by its immediate contact whether you wash it all off or not, just as a brief exposure of battery acid on your skin would irritate it even if you washed it all off. This irritation to your dog's skin can cause irritation, skin shedding and dandruff-like flakes.

Google pH dog skin for more references, if you don't believe.

One example, from http://www.petshed.com/petcyclopedia...-properly.html :

The first rule of dog bathing is not to use a human shampoo. The pH of dog skin is very different to that of human skin. While our skin has a pH of around 5.5 to 5.6, your dog's skin is much more neutral, averaging a pH of between 6.2 and 7.4. Shampoos formulated for humans are much more acidic than those for dogs, and using a human shampoo can upset the balance of a dog's skin.

Or, for a safe home made dog shampoo, see this recipe: http://www.k911.biz/Petsafety/DogShampoo.htm

For a brief summary of pH values, see http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/184ph.html

The pH difference of about 1.5 between the skin of dogs and humans means that human skin is about 60 times more acidic than dog skin. Each whole integer step represents a 10X increase, two integers represents a 100X increase. The Elmhurst reference just above reference includes the following (basic = alkaline):

Introduction and Definitions:
    Acidic and basic are two extremes that describe a chemical property chemicals. Mixing acids and bases can cancel out or neutralize their extreme effects. A substance that is neither acidic nor basic is neutral.

The pH scale measures how acidic or basic a substance is. The pH scale ranges from 0 to 14. A pH of 7 is neutral. A pH less than 7 is acidic. A pH greater than 7 is basic.

The pH scale is logarithmic and as a result, each whole pH value below 7 is ten times more acidic than the next higher value. For example, pH 4 is ten times more acidic than pH 5 and 100 times (10 times 10) more acidic than pH 6. The same holds true for pH values above 7, each of which is ten times more alkaline (another way to say basic) than the next lower whole value. For example, pH 10 is ten times more alkaline than pH 9 and 100 times (10 times 10) more alkaline than pH 8.

Pure water is neutral. But when chemicals are mixed with water, the mixture can become either acidic or basic. Examples of acidic substances are vinegar and lemon juice. Lye, milk of magnesia, and ammonia are examples of basic substances.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by baby belle
    A healthy lab does not need to be bathed even every 6 months. My lab smells just great and he has only been bathed once in 2 years. My shepherd on the other hand - - - gets a little rank if I don't bathe her every few months. Every two weeks is WAY more than anything but a poodle should be bathed.
    Sharon

fburke is offline Senior Member

Now I know some members here refrain for giving there Labs baths but my opinion there are times Willow gets a bit stinky and needs a bath how ever a walk around for this would be find a nice clean fresh water swimming hole and let your lab enjoy a nice energetic swim, this way you have a clean lab and a tired lab.

My Autumn is about 17 weeks old and I have already introduced her to swimming and she loves it!