Barking/Whining in the Morning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barking/Whining in the Morning

kathleen is offline Member

DefaultBarking/Whining in the Morning

Louie (11 week old black lab) is doing wonderfully well. I can't believe it, but he's pretty smart and very teachable. Our puppy kindergarten trainer even said she would want him if she needed a dog for obedience showing or duck hunting! Housebreaking, after the first few days, was a piece of cake. We're averaging 1 pee accident every 2 days, and only when WE mess up. Poop accidents almost never happen anymore. So, we're lucky.

Except for this one thing.

Louie KNOWS that my husband gets up at 6:30. So, he starts barking and whining at 6. We ignore it until 6:30 and then take him out. Then he goes back in his crate and whines for another hour until I get up and feed him breakfast. We're trapped! Either we ignore it and lose an hour and a half of sleep every morning, or we give in and teach him that barking will get what he wants. We've been holding out until our predetermined times, but he's just not getting it. He's perfectly content to whine the whole time. It's really making me miserable and extremely nasty to my husband in the morning.

We need advice! "Just ignore it" is not the advice we need. We've been doing that, but we can't ignore him so much as to go beyond our schedule.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Barking/Whining in the Morning

a couple of questions?

what is the last time he goes out? if it's not in the middle of the night I'm betting he actually wakes up at 6 and needs to pee... I would personally get up at first whimper- put him out; let him pee and then put him back to bed ...

is his crate covered at night? first light can disrupt some dogs sleep - if I cover our foster Fitz's crate he sleeps til we wake up - if not he is wide awake at 6

if his crate is covered and he still disturbs you I'd have a second crate set up further away which is where I'd put him after he goes back to bed

does any of that make any sense?

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

He has his last pee around 11 pm. I'm reluctant to get up at first whimper because we really don't want him to associate barking/whining with getting our attention.

We haven't been covering his crate. We'll try that tonight.

As far as getting a crate further away...won't work. We live in a ranch. He's already on the other side of the house and we can hear him. There's nowhere that would be out of range.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

11 weeks is still a baby - 11 -6 is a LONG night - I'd be getting up once in the night probably but if you are SURe he doesn't have to pee stick it out if you can

hopefully covering the crate will help

I really do find that there are ways to reduce the noise- shutting a door can actually make a big difference - or changing the direction the crate faces

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

We had been getting up during the night, but our vet advised us not to. He hasn't had an overnight accident since we started sleeping straight through.

Covering the crate hasn't helped, but we have modified his feeding schedule, which helps a bit. My husband now gets up to take him out at 6:30 and then feeds him and puts him back in his crate. Food doesn't move through his system very quickly, so he's fine until 7:30-8 when I take him out. This has alleviated the barking from 6:30-7:30, but we're still dealing with barking from 6:00 to 6:30. This may just continue until his bladder grows a bit.

you are welcome

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

glad you know all the answers

um...?

sarah is offline Senior Member

if it's not in the middle of the night I'm betting he actually wakes up at 6 and needs to pee... I would personally get up at first whimper- put him out; let him pee and then put him back to bed ...

I agree and do this with Milly first thing in the morning.... She doesn't whimper anymore (6 months old) but if she scratches at her crate it means she HAS TO GO NOW. He will learn that the first morning whimper gets your attention to let him out to PEE. If he goes back into his crate straight after he will learn... you said yourself that he's really easy to train so it wouldn't take him long to catch onto the reason why that whimper gets your attention.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

Louie KNOWS that my husband gets up at 6:30. So, he starts barking and whining at 6. We ignore it until 6:30 and then take him out. Then he goes back in his crate and whines for another hour until I get up and feed him breakfast. We're trapped! Either we ignore it and lose an hour and a half of sleep every morning, or we give in and teach him that barking will get what he wants. We've been holding out until our predetermined times, but he's just not getting it. He's perfectly content to whine the whole time. It's really making me miserable and extremely nasty to my husband in the morning.
    We had crate issues with Rupert. He'd whine and whimper whenever we put him in until he fell asleep. And he'd wake up on and off all night.

We started by comforting him, lying beside his crate until he fell asleep. That reduced to a short trip to the crate just to soothe him and reassure him we're there. That scaled back to just some soothing words from bed. He would occasionally bark once or twice, but we eventually ignored it. He'd give up after a little bit and go to sleep.

Now he rarely makes a fuss at all, unless he's been crated for a long time and sees/hears us up and active. He barks up a storm when I get home, but I want to change out of my work clothes first before he tackles me.

This strategy worked for us, showed him the crate was OK, but without giving into him.

imported_LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

Housebreaking, after the first few days, was a piece of cake. We're averaging 1 pee accident every 2 days, and only when WE mess up. Poop accidents almost never happen anymore. So, we're lucky.
    Dear lord are you serious?!?! Sam will be 14weeks tomorrow and I'm still scrubbing the floors on a daily basis!! I envy you

-Brandie<br /><br /><br />Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador or three in your lap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast