Potty breaks

Thread: Potty breaks

mml4a66 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPotty breaks

New to the forum...some great stuff here. I have an 8 week old pup that we crate during the day (and at night when she sleeps). Sadly, both my wife and I are out of the house for the better part of the day. We have a dog walker coming mid-day to feed her/take her out/play with her but am wondering if we need him to come twice a day until she's a little older. It's about a 4 hour stretch from the time he comes and I get home....
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sammysam21 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Potty breaks

When I brought my puppy home we were in the same situation. I also have a dog walker that comes in the middle of the day. Our puppy had a few pee accidents in the crate for the first week or so, but after that he very rarely has an accident. I make sure that he got a lot of exercise before going in the crate & also made sure that he went to the bathroom prior to going up. I think him being in the crate during the day helped to potty train him faster. Good Luck.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Welcome to the forum!

I have the same situation, Shelby is almost 12 weeks old, had her for about a month now. she is crated most of the day, there is about 4-5 hr stretch until someone can come hang out with her for a bit. few accidents in the beginning, but does very well now. She and i are early risers, so lots of activity prior to me going to work, we have a routine, then back in the crate where she is well rested for round 2 when my niece comes.
    Great picture of your pup...cutie!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

The general rule of thumb is to take their age in months and add one. This is the number of hours you can ask them to hold their bladder.
    Olie

Csully123 is offline Senior Member

I think its different for every pup, but when we frist brought Denali home and now (he is 5months old) he was only in his crate for no longer then 4hrs and we only had 2-3 pee accidents and that was only for the frist 2 weeks.

Scrolls01 Guest

I think mine is completely different. I have a 13 month old male that I just got a week ago, who on the other hand keeps going potty in my house, but refuses to go outside. I just bought a crate and that is where he is at right now. Previously, I had another dog who died on June 30, and the last 4 days she was alive, she went in the house, because she couldn't get up. Is there a possibility he's smelling all this and that is why he refuses to go outside? Is there any tips on this kind of situation?

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scrolls01
    I think mine is completely different. I have a 13 month old male that I just got a week ago, who on the other hand keeps going potty in my house, but refuses to go outside. I just bought a crate and that is where he is at right now. Previously, I had another dog who died on June 30, and the last 4 days she was alive, she went in the house, because she couldn't get up. Is there a possibility he's smelling all this and that is why he refuses to go outside? Is there any tips on this kind of situation?
    Definitely that could be a factor. You have to clean that area with a product such as Natures Miracle or white vinegar will work. Do you know his history?
    Olie