Archie thinks he's boss
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archie thinks he's boss

archieandus is offline Member

DefaultArchie thinks he's boss

hello,

My 11 week old lab has been with us for just over 2 weeks now. My only complaint is that he thinks he's the boss of my 2 1/2 year old son. I have to shadow them constantly, which I expected...but Archie tries to get in a few nips and my son ends up very upset. I realize this is a normal stage, but how can I make this more positive for them both? I try everything from getting my son to throw balls and give him treats, etc. Yesterday Archie literally chased him down and jumped up his back. My son doesn't really have the language skills other than a lame, "No Archie" . His voice just isn't loud enough with him. I think Archie senses that our son is not confident.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Kathleen

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Archie thinks he's boss

constant supervision, a drag line so you can catch and redirect him BEFORE the thought becomes action, and this:

http://hometown.aol.com/morndogs/myhomepage/

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

A toddler is not capable of controlling a dog either verbally or physically. I would not leave them on the floor together without your immediate (meaning standing right there) involvement.

Until you have verbal control of the puppy and he has some self control (understands what you expect of him in interactions with the baby) you will have to have strict control. The puppy likely sees your son as a littermate/play opportunity. He will be rough until he is more mature and trained.
    Sharon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog

A toddler is not capable of controlling a dog either verbally or physically. I would not leave them on the floor together without your immediate (meaning standing right there) involvement.

Until you have verbal control of the puppy and he has some self control (understands what you expect of him in interactions with the baby) you will have to have strict control. The puppy likely sees your son as a littermate/play opportunity. He will be rough until he is more mature and trained.
    Thank you for the good advise...I am really quite vigilant about keeping everyone safe. I probably should have waited until my son was older, but now it's done and I will do my absolute best to make sure everyone is safe and grows up happy around here! There is so much training advise, though. I just want to train him properly, while respecting him for the wonderful dog that he is.

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Archienus
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog

Thank you for the good advise...I am really quite vigilant about keeping everyone safe. I probably should have waited until my son was older, but now it's done and I will do my absolute best to make sure everyone is safe and grows up happy around here! There is so much training advise, though. I just want to train him properly, while respecting him for the wonderful dog that he is.

You are welcome. There is a whole lot of good advice here for training - and getting him into a puppy class and beginning obedience would be helpful as well. I had an older well trained dog when my kids were babies, so I had more work on training the kids how to behave with the dog - not the other way around.

I hope you have a crate and are using that in training your puppy. It will be useful to have a place where the puppy can retreat when he needs a break (or when you need a break from him). Other than that, patient, consistent, positive reinforcement works best!
    Sharon

Lucky.N.Lucy Guest

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, what you are describing is not your puppy thinking he's "boss" or sensing that your toddler is not "confident". Your puppy is a baby and wants to play and does not understand that his behavior is inappropriate. Would you say that your toddler puts small objects in his mouth because he thinks he is the boss?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky.N.Lucy
    I'm sorry, but in my opinion, what you are describing is not your puppy thinking he's "boss" or sensing that your toddler is not "confident". Your puppy is a baby and wants to play and does not understand that his behavior is inappropriate. Would you say that your toddler puts small objects in his mouth because he thinks he is the boss?
    Very good point. I hope my solution works; as soon as Archie races towards my son, I call him to me, have him sit, then I reward him with a treat. (Archie, not my son This has reinforced his sitting and he always comes...I just need to know when I should start fazing out the treat. So much to learn right now!

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

Very good point. I hope my solution works; as soon as Archie races towards my son, I call him to me, have him sit, then I reward him with a treat. (Archie, not my son This has reinforced his sitting and he always comes...I just need to know when I should start fazing out the treat. So much to learn right now!
    FWIW, I still have not phased out treats and Gauge is almost 9 months old. ESPECIALLY for the "come" command...about 80% of the time, Gauge still gets a treat when he comes when called. I really believe this has contributed to his reliable recall at his age.

Quote Originally Posted by Tia
    Do you vary his treats or keep it the same?

FWIW, I still have not phased out treats and Gauge is almost 9 months old. ESPECIALLY for the "come" command...about 80% of the time, Gauge still gets a treat when he comes when called. I really believe this has contributed to his reliable recall at his age.

sarah is offline Senior Member

I don't think you should phase out the treats yet with Archie but if you don't want him getting to used to them then only give him a treat say, every 2nd time he does what you want and the other time just rub his chest and tell him "GREAT job GOOD archie" in really happy tones.

Mix it up that way... he should be wanting your PRAISE as well as the food.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast