you'd think I'd have the hang of this by now

Thread: you'd think I'd have the hang of this by now

imported_LuckyGirl is offline Senior Member

Defaultyou'd think I'd have the hang of this by now

Both Happy and Lucky are crate trained. Happy's so layed back I didn't even have to train him, put the crate down, put a dog pillow in it, boom he goes in and goes to sleep in it. Lucky was a bit more challenging because of her anxiety, I actually slept on the floor next to her the first couple of nights to help her feel a bit more secure about it. Now she loves it. She'll go in and out of it all day long on her own.

Sam, sam, sam...now there is another story. He'll be 13 weeks tomorrow and I've been trying to crate train him but he is sooo stubborn! He'll go in the crate during the day, play in the crate with a toy, nap in the crate during the day all with the door open. Close the door and all hell breaks loose. He acts like he's in dire pain. I've got the crate right next to the bed and I've talked to him and even put my fingers down by the door for him but he don't care he hollers and cries and howls. We've been putting a gate up at the bedroom door so he doesn't have free roaming rights and he wants to sleep under the bed...it won't be long before he can't fit under there anymore. Am I doing something wrong or is this just a puppy that is as headstrong and stubborn as I am?

Oh he'll allow the door to be shut if he has a kong or some other kind of chew in there with him, but once he's decided he's done with it he'll start whining to be let out again. I try to make sure he's not making any noise and laying down before I'll let him out again.
    -Brandie<br /><br /><br />Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador or three in your lap.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: you'd think I'd have the hang of this by now

just got to thinking...he's in Lucky's old crate which is for her size now....do I need to umm make it smaller somehow? He's never ever messed in either of the crates I read that if it's too big they may go potty in one side. The other crate is a soft crate and Lucky already make a small hole in it because I crated her when we left for a bit and Sam I'm sure would shred it if I put him in it at night. I haven't dared leave them alone yet until we get Sam crate broke.

We've only got the two crates, they were both bought for Lucky for her anxiety and they've helped a lot. I don't even close the doors/zip it on her unless company is over. Then after twenty minutes I let her out after company has calmed down and she's gotten use to their smells and voices. She's not as nervous around them doing it that way. Her and Happy just seem to share the crates, sometimes they lay down in there together other times one will take a crate and the other a pillow on the floor near the bed.

I've got Sam in the hard one right now while I'm cleaning/reading the forums I'm sitting next to it and he's hollering and crying and scratching to get out.

-Brandie<br /><br /><br />Nothing cures a bad mood like a Labrador or three in your lap.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If it's a wire crate, do you have a cover over it? I put a towel over ours to make it more den-like. I also found it's best not to crate a puppy when they are in mid-play. At night, I usually wait until they settle down again before we do that last potty and pop them in their crates. Jed would never say a peep, never has, can't imagine he ever will. Jack likes to protest. In the beginning, if he did, I would take them out potty, if he didn't got, he got put in the crate. We had to do that a few times, and then I realized if he didn't go, he didn't have to, and I ignored his carrying on. Now they are 16 weeks, and I they are good to go from 10PM to 5AM, no potty breaks, no whining.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He's doing much better! Only whined thirty seconds last night then it was so quiet, I had to peek in to make sure he was okay and he was just calmly laying there trying to go to sleep! No potty breaks or anything! He woke up at 5:30 and I put my hand down, he licked it and went right back to sleep!

He's in a hard plastic one that I keep covered with a blue felt cover, putting the cover over the crate helped him a lot.