Tie Out or Crate?

Thread: Tie Out or Crate?

DefaultTie Out or Crate?

Hi,

Looking for advice on whether it's better to use a tie-out or crate for our 13 week old pup when we're doing yard work. Gracie is crate trained already (she's been just amazing that way and I feel very fortunate), so that's not an issue. I just worry about her being cooped up there when we're home, but can't watch her.

Background - I learned last week that Oleanders are very poisonous to dogs. Unfortunately we have a row of 8 of them out by the fence that we planted when we bought our house 9 years ago and they are pretty big now. So when we get home from work, we go out in the yard for an hour or 2 to work on chopping the things down/digging them out. My husband tried to put her on the other side of the yard on a tie out this afternoon and she wouldn't stop yipping and whining until he brought her back inside. Now she sits in her crate, quiet as a church mouse. Is calm/crated or anxious/tied out better? (I think I answered my own question, but would still like validation - this is my first puppy.)

Also, I would like to help her learn to take to a tie out for times when we need to get yardwork done but want her to be able to be out of the crate. Is this just too much too soon? Should I teach her by putting her on it and playing with her on her lead for a while, then gradually leaving her to play with her toys alone for longer and longer periods of time? Maybe over a period of a few weeks? This would absolutely not be a permanant thing. Just for an hour or two now and then, so we can pull out the rest of these Oleanders and the Asparagus ferns I also just learned are toxic. Then just here and there during the year so we can spruce things up a bit. When she's older and wiser, I expect she can have the run of the yard, but she's too young right now.

Thanks! Mona

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Gene Guest

DefaultRe: Tie Out or Crate?

As much as I hate tie-outs on ANY dog, I think it will be ok as long as you are out there with her.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Personally if you're gardening, I'd leave puppy inside, you don't want them to see you digging in the garden, if you know what I mean!

I also don't like tie-outs, as they tend to up a dogs anxiety level.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

I think she is acting out on the tie out because she wants to be with you. The reason she doesn't do it in the crate is because she has accepted it as her space. I say if you can't have both eyes on them at this age leave them in the crate.
    Olie

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Tie out - I can fairly guaratee you're not going to get much work done. A 13 wk pup over HERE while you're working in flowerbeds over THERE is going to get mighty antsy. You'll be running back and forth trying to keep her quiet, keep her from chewing the tie-out, trying to keep her from digging, trying to keep her from spinning in circles....

And am I speaking from experience?? Yup.

I'd go w/the crate. If you want her to get some fresh air, crate her in a shady spot nearby, perhaps w/a nice Kong to keep her occupied.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. She ended up in the crate, where she is happier. She got her first taste of peanut butter in her Kong to occupy her.

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

Have you seen/heard of an ex-pen? I'd pick one and plop her in there while you're in this transitional phase. This way, she'll be outside and able to move around, but not under your feet. Give her a marrow bone or stuffed kong to occupy her and get her used to the new digs. Just as you did with the crate, ignore any cries for attention and only go to her when she's behaving. Personally, I don't like tie outs because they always end up tangled up in them.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

ex-pen - that's a new one for me. Off to research. Thanks for the advice.