When and how to give a little more room then the crate

Thread: When and how to give a little more room then the crate

Csully123 is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhen and how to give a little more room then the crate

We would like to let Denali have a little more room then his crate when we are at work. He is 5 month old and I would like to just get him a bigger crate..(the one he has is good but we found one thats huge and would allow him to stand up and sit up easier) but the wife wants to give him a little bite of a room. Here is my questions...Is he to young to have free roam of one smaller room, would it be bad to just get the larger crate and just use that and never let him have free roam when we are not home?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

PottersPeeps is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When and how to give a little more room then the crate

It's totally dependent on the dog. Some dogs never get free reign. Some dogs you can trust with a full crate very young. If you get him the bigger crate and find that he can't handle it, most crates come with a partition that you can cut off a certain amount of space, making it just the right size. The only way to tell for your dog for sure if to try how he does.

If you decide to try to give him a small room, just test him out first. Let him be in there while you just run to the store for half an hour or so, see how he does. Slowly leave him out for longer periods of time until you trust him fully to be there by himself during the day.

Good luck!

The Potter Rotter, loved by David & Catherine,
    feared by squirrels everywhere

Nadroj is offline Junior Member

My puppy link is 14 weeks old and he seemed to HATE his crate from the very beginning. I recently opened up the space from very small to the whole crate and he seems to love his crate now. He has not had an accident in his crate since i opened it up either!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Csully123 is offline Senior Member

I should have mentioned that Denali is crate trained....we have had hime since he was 8 weeks old and we have crated him everday we are not home since then...I mean that his crate we purchased was for large breed but we had found one yesterday at the pet store that is a little bigger and didnt know if it was ok to use for ever or should we start letting him have small sections of room so that eventually he can have the whole house when we are out.

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

It's totally dependent on the dog. Some dogs never get free reign. Some dogs you can trust with a full crate very young.
    I Agree!

Our Rupert has grown into the full size of his small crate. He's got enough room for him, his bed, and a few toys. He's getting to like it more and more. I attached a water bottle to it.

Today was his first day in the crate while we're both at work. Concerned, I went home at lunchtime. He was quietly chewing on a toy. I let him out and fed him, then put him back in. He seemed fine with it. I know he'll be nuts tonight, but what can you do.

He's a long way from free reign of anything though.

I'd say just play it by ear. Try short periods free as others have said.