Snarling and biting

Thread: Snarling and biting

Nadroj is offline Junior Member

DefaultSnarling and biting

Ok, so today Link (my puppy) was chewing on our other dogs bed, i told him No, he kept on chewing so i picked him up to move him out of the room and he snarled at me and bit my hand. I got him picked out and took him to his crate for time out. How can i break him of this. If i grab his collar he does the same thing! Every time he has done it i pick him up and give him a time out but it doesn't seem to affect him, he just goes to sleep in his crate. Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

stockylab08 is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: Snarling and biting

how old is the puppy ? maybe you should keep a leash on him and give a leash correction so him actually biting you won't be an option for him. lead him away with the leash and send him to his crate. unsure of how old he is to know what would be appropriate for him.
    <br /><br />

He is 14 weeks old

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Many dogs dislike being grabbed by the collar. I'd use a house/drag line to eliminate the direct threat of collar grabs for the time being.

I'd be doing some intensive handling exercises, pairing high-value food treats with touching the dog all over, gently at first, building up to light collar tugs and holding the paws, ears, muzzle, etc.

"No" is also meaningless to dogs - give an alternative cue that you can reward instead. Ie - he's chewing something forbidden, grab a permitted toy and encourage a game of fetch instead.

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    Many dogs dislike being grabbed by the collar. I'd use a house/drag line to eliminate the direct threat of collar grabs for the time being.

I'd be doing some intensive handling exercises, pairing high-value food treats with touching the dog all over, gently at first, building up to light collar tugs and holding the paws, ears, muzzle, etc.

"No" is also meaningless to dogs - give an alternative cue that you can reward instead. Ie - he's chewing something forbidden, grab a permitted toy and encourage a game of fetch instead.
    What do you mean use a house/drag line? Like use a leash on his regular collar and let him drag it around, he has a knack for slipping out of his collar, should i just leave his harness on (I walk him with a harness).
    Should I touch Link, then give him the treat? or while I am touching him give him a treat?

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Yep, attach a 5 or 6 ft leash to his collar or harness - you can cut the hand loop if you think it might get caught on something, and of course this is for ONLY when pup is supervised.

Should I touch Link, then give him the treat? or while I am touching him give him a treat?
    If he is VERY sensitive/upset at being touched, then feed during the touch. Otherwise, touch, mark with a "Yes" or "Good dog" - or a clicker- then feed.

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    Yep, attach a 5 or 6 ft leash to his collar or harness - you can cut the hand loop if you think it might get caught on something, and of course this is for ONLY when pup is supervised.

If he is VERY sensitive/upset at being touched, then feed during the touch. Otherwise, touch, mark with a "Yes" or "Good dog" - or a clicker- then feed.

I can touch him pretty much whenever I want, it only seem like sometimes when i try to move him from a spot or pick him up that he does not like it. If i go to move him and and starts to snarl at me should i just let him be or continue to move him (I don't mind getting bit if it means helping the dog)?

Lucky.N.Lucy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj
    I can touch him pretty much whenever I want, it only seem like sometimes when i try to move him from a spot or pick him up that he does not like it. If i go to move him and and starts to snarl at me should i just let him be or continue to move him (I don't mind getting bit if it means helping the dog)?
    Don't "go to move him". Instead, CALL HIM in an inviting way "Here, puppy!!!!" using happy, nonthreatening body language to get him to move voluntarily. Then reward him ("GOOD PUPPY!!!!" + treat) for doing so.