Motion sickness

Thread: Motion sickness

DefaultMotion sickness

My newest acquired lab has a problem riding. She threw up in my wife's car. When we took her to the park in the back of the truck with the camper on, she peed. I have heard to feed her food and treats in the car and truck to help her associate riding with pleasurable experiences and suppose I'll try that. Does anyone have any other ideas or experience with this? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Motion sickness

Some dogs have anxiety driven motion sickness, and those are the ones that can usually be trained out of it, but it takes a lot of work and patience. You'll basically have to do baby steps. Treats, positive reinforcement inside the car, in the driveway, motor off. Then in the car, in the driveway, motor on. Then go for a very, very, very short ride. Then a slightly longer ride, then longer, etc. With each step, be sure that the dog is completely comfortable before moving on to the next stage. Make sure that you end each training session with something fun - game of fetch, tug of war, eventually trip to the dog park.

Other dogs have motion sickness like humans - related to wonky sensory processing in the vestibular apparatus of the inner ear. Generally, you can't train this type of car sickness away, and those dogs do better with medication to ease the nausea. I have one of the second type. I hope you have one of the first type!

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.