Wrapped up by leash

Thread: Wrapped up by leash

DefaultWrapped up by leash

I'm working on leash training my lab and wonder if there's any tips to keep her from going in circles around me and wrapping me up with her leash?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Wrapped up by leash

Ive read your other posts and im sorry but why has she never been out before now? Seeing as you had her from a puppy that would have been the prime time to have trained her.

Anyway has she never had a leash on? I was told to put it on them and let them drag it around the house and garden then you pick up the other end so they get used to wearing one. Also "our best advice" thread has some tips on loose leash walking.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Is she pulling or just going around in circles?

It sounds to me like you need to work on your formal heel. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by her circling around you, but her motivation behind it is probably quite simple. She wants to sniff and explore. This is perfectly normal and she should be allowed ample opportunity to catch up on the 'gossip' -- scents and smells left behind by other dogs, people and animals. However, obviously you need to be able to control her and have her focus on you when the need calls for it. That is were the training comes in.

Have you done any kind of formal training with her? if not, I would start as you would with a puppy in your backyard, armed with a leash and treats. Clip the leash on and walk with her BRISKLY. You want to be walking fast enough to keep her attention. If you are too slow she will get distracted by whatever else is going on in the environment. When walking briskly with her, make sharp about turns, again to keep her attention. Pat your side as you walk and verbally reinforce the 'HEEL!' command. She should naturally follow your side as you are walking. When she is walking in the desired position next to you, particularly when she is making eye contact, REWARD. Keep moving though and reward as you are walking -- don't stop! remember to reinforce the 'HEEL!' command when she moves away from the position and verbally praise when she complies.

Practice this for a few minutes every day. When you have nailed it in your backyard, you can gradually move onto the real world. Heeling looks simple but it is actually one of the most difficult things to teach, so don't expect miracles overnight.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I just haven't had time to work with her and train her but I do now so decided to begin with the "sit" command and go from there. I'll eventually work her up to wlaking on a leash once we get her to obey other things.