Marrow Bones
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marrow Bones

DefaultMarrow Bones

Dexter turned 7 mths old today. So far he has only ever tasted his dry puppy food and had puppy biscuits as treats. I saw some marrow bones at the grocery store and I wondered what age he should be before introducing him to one. I realize rawhide bones are bad because they can splinter but a marrow bone seems like it might be ok?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Marrow Bones

My dogs get marrow bones a couple times a week. My last puppy got his first marrow bone at around 10wks.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

At 7 months old he should have no problem with a marrow bone. Remember to feed it completely raw and not cooked.

The marrow inside the bone is very rich. Therefore, you should limit the length of time that he is allowed to chew on it. If you let him eat as much as he wants he is pretty much guaranteed to get an upset stomach. So, allowing him to chew on it for 15-20 minutes at first is your safest bet. Then you can stick it back in your freezer until next time.

After a while, however, their digestive system will be able to handle the richness of the marrow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

First off, rawhide bones don't splinter. The danger behind them is the dog can bite off a large chunk and swallow it potentially causing intestinal blockage. I give Odie compressed rawhide bones sometimes, but only under close supervision. Like right in front of me while I'm watching tv.

I've been feeding marrow bones lately though. I like them because they are cheap, safe, and they last a long time. I can generally give Odie a marrow bone 4 or 5 different times before he gets all he marrow out.

Compressed rawhides are expensive and most dogs will eat the entire thing in an hour or less. Marrow bones last a lot longer as long as you give them frozen. I wouldn't have a problem giving a marrow bone at 7 months. I would however be cautious about giving it to a very young puppy that has loose teeth. Marrow bones are hard.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Milly is almost 6 months and we give her knuckle bones and briskett bones, always under supervision though.

cheers
    Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Thank you all for the great advise. I hope to try Dexter with the bone this evening for 15 mins.

at our store in the pet department we have "mammoth bones" I'm assuming those are marrow bones? Once the dogs get the ends gnawed off theres soft white stuff on the inside. I haven't gotten any lately because the vet said 'no more body parts' for Happy because of his weight and he says they will shred up a dogs tummy, but I'm thinking getting them and letting them have them in the evening for their crates. Might help mister stubborn (Sam-wise) adjust to his crate faster. Can the marrows hurt their tummies? He didn't say Lucky couldn't have one, he put Happy on a no body parts diet because he was throwing up really bad for a couple of days (which was probably because of those rings in his tummy!) and he's 10-15lbs over weight. No canned food, no treats, no nothing cept four cups of dog food a day. Happy is a chewer too, and though he'll chew on the nylabones you can tell he really misses his mammoth bones.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGirl
    at our store in the pet department we have "mammoth bones" I'm assuming those are marrow bones? Once the dogs get the ends gnawed off theres soft white stuff on the inside. I haven't gotten any lately because the vet said 'no more body parts' for Happy because of his weight and he says they will shred up a dogs tummy, but I'm thinking getting them and letting them have them in the evening for their crates. Might help mister stubborn (Sam-wise) adjust to his crate faster. Can the marrows hurt their tummies? He didn't say Lucky couldn't have one, he put Happy on a no body parts diet because he was throwing up really bad for a couple of days (which was probably because of those rings in his tummy!) and he's 10-15lbs over weight. No canned food, no treats, no nothing cept four cups of dog food a day. Happy is a chewer too, and though he'll chew on the nylabones you can tell he really misses his mammoth bones.
    Marrow in marrow bones can be too rich for a puppy and upset their tummy. I'd give Sam a knuckle bone instead.... but that's just me.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

what's a knuckle bone?

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGirl
    A marrow bone is available in the meat case of a supermarket (or from a butcher). I don't think a mammoth bone is the same thing. A marrow bone is raw (uncooked therefore needing refrigeration). They are safer then other types of chew bones available for dogs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast