Crate Training and Pillows

Thread: Crate Training and Pillows

DefaultCrate Training and Pillows

We had a dog pillow in her crate and yesterday she decided to chew it apart. This is the 1st time she as been destructive so we are kinda confused. What, if anything should they have in the crate? Any ideas / thoughts / suggestions would be great ! THANKS

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Meg
    Meg is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Crate Training and Pillows

I put old towels in gauge's. Easy to wash and low cost.

I used to put towels in Henry's crate too, until he was trustworthy enough to have a crate pad. Be wary if you have a chewer that she doesn't have anything in her crate (or anything within reach of her crate) that she could chew and get obstructed with.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My puppies haven't destroyed any pillows yet, but i recommend just loads of towels and blankets or maybe the inside part of a duvey cover.As that can be folded to make it look like a pillow and if she trys to destroy it, it will unravel so its just blanket like.

I put a towel in at night and also a baby blanket. During the day I take it out since my pup likes to chew. I think towels are the best option because they are easy to clean and cheap to by from Target or Walmart. We have a stack of them.

If she destroys something- put nothing in the crate! Trust me! It sounds mean but it isn't. Chloe destroyed pillows and blankets and we didn't listen to advice on having her sleep in an empty crate because we thought she wouldn't be comfortable. She swallowed part of a towel and it ended up obstructing her intestine. It was a nightmare- the towel knotted and tied off part of her intestine which had to be removed. It was so scary- thankfully she made it but every day she was hospitalized I wished we had left her crate empty.

She is now a year old and as happy as can be sleeping in her empty crate! She had a nice bed that she lies on while we are watching TV or hanging out!

Quote Originally Posted by mez8979
    If she destroys something- put nothing in the crate! Trust me! It sounds mean but it isn't. Chloe destroyed pillows and blankets and we didn't listen to advice on having her sleep in an empty crate because we thought she wouldn't be comfortable. She swallowed part of a towel and it ended up obstructing her intestine. It was a nightmare- the towel knotted and tied off part of her intestine which had to be removed. It was so scary- thankfully she made it but every day she was hospitalized I wished we had left her crate empty.

She is now a year old and as happy as can be sleeping in her empty crate! She had a nice bed that she lies on while we are watching TV or hanging out!
    +1 - unless you are in Australia, it is summertime and most Labs prefer cool surfaces in the summer. I have nothing in my Lab's crate right now. He has not chewed up the old blanket I keep in there in cooler months however. But if he did I would be very concerned about potential obstructions. Better to leave it empty.

I agree about keeping the crate empty.. My lab even chewed the blanket we had on TOP of her crate on time.. She pulled it right thru the bars.. Luckily, she threw it up.. But ever since then I have been using lids to those plastic bins u can buy at Target or whatever.. I have them all around her crate and the blanket over them so she can't pull it thru.. We also had a scare where she ate something outside and it caused a partial obstruction of her intestine.. she was able to pass it w/o surgery.. but I learned better safe than sorry.. it is AMAZING what labs can do LOL