frequency of feeding

Thread: frequency of feeding

Defaultfrequency of feeding

My chocolate lab is 7 month old and eats 3 times a day. When should that decrease and what is the easiest way to do it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: frequency of feeding

Your puppy could have been on 2 meals per day from the age of 4 months. We switched Milly over to morning and night feeds at 4 months and she didn't even seem to notice the change. Milly will now be on breakfast and dinner feeds for the rest of her wonderful labby life!

If you are worried about removing the feed and upsetting your routine you can just cut back on how much you give your Lab to start with and put the extra food into the morning or night feeds and keep decreasing until there is none left.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Quote Originally Posted by sarahnye
    Your puppy could have been on 2 meals per day from the age of 4 months. We switched Milly over to morning and night feeds at 4 months and she didn't even seem to notice the change. Milly will now be on breakfast and dinner feeds for the rest of her wonderful labby life!

If you are worried about removing the feed and upsetting your routine you can just cut back on how much you give your Lab to start with and put the extra food into the morning or night feeds and keep decreasing until there is none left.
    I agree with you Sarah. We switched our pup to two meals per day at 4 month based on advice from the vet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree with this. Wean him down from three meals to two slowly and hopefully you won't have a problem.

Dani is offline Senior Member

I don't feed 3 meals a day past 8 weeks, and think that you can just cut out the meal entirely without weaning.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    I don't feed 3 meals a day past 8 weeks, and think that you can just cut out the meal entirely without weaning.
    I agree about cutting the meal cold turkey but if the OP is worried gradual is good for their peace of mind don't you think?
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

suej Guest

Hi
    We cut out Brody's mid-day feeding at about 14 weeks. He didnt seem to have any problems with it. He gets a cup and a half in the am and again in the pm. We also give him a few treats durning the day when we are playing with him, walking him or training him. Well good luck!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We've done it around 5 months. I have a couple more months before the boys stop getting their lunch....

We cut back at three months and he never seemed to notice. Thinks he's starving when I feed him 2x a day but I think that's just him!