crate training escapee

Thread: crate training escapee

Defaultcrate training escapee

my Doser is a crate escapee......
    i knew he didn't like the crate from when i put him in there during the night........he barks and groans......ladidadida.....
    i just ignore him and he gives it a rest after a minute.....
    but i needed to go to the store and i was unsure of how he would do in the house unsupervised. i tricked him into his crate and left the house. when me and the kids
    got back to the house and i opened the door and he was at the door to greet us...
    my first thought was uh oh, please tell me he did not destroy anything. i walked throught each room of the house and everything was perfect. he is such a good boy.
    this has happeneed several times now. i put hiim in the crate to go to the store and when i get back he is out.

i have a very sturdy and hefty crate. how he got out is crazy. there are like hooks that hook on the corners of the crate to hold it up. it's collapsable. anyways he wiggled the crate, probalby biting it and he got the hooks to unhook and he squeezes out of the space. and now he does this everytime i put him in the crate and leave the house.unbelievable. andyone have any ideas ?
    another thing is to get him to go in the crate. he does not like it at all. first couple of times i could trick him in with treats and food. but now he will look at the treat go around and smell it and not go in.
    the woman i got him from had him in a kennel for a couple of weeks and he made holes in the chainlink fence. wow!!!!!!
    what should i do about this boy. hubby would kill me if one day doser did destroy soemthing in the house.

suggestions and advice needed. thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: crate training escapee

it took lucky a while to take to her crate and I still don't put her in it when we leave. First I tossed treats in her crate and let her get them and come right back out, then I started tossing toys in there for her and she'd get them and come back out. After a while of that I would give her a kong filled with something yummy and give it to her in the crate, leaving the door open if she came out with the kong I would toss it back in the crate and tell her 'nope only in your bed' after she took to that I would close the door for about fifteen minutes, and sit next to the crate and completely ignore her in there, then finally I layed down next to the crate with it open to sleep (first night I woke up with my head on the bed in the crate and her in my place on my bed then I closed the door and slept for a night next to her with the door closed. Now she happily goes into her crate to sleep everynight, still working on that when we're not home thing. I'm a stay at home mom so its rare I'm gone for very long....

guess that didn't help a whole lot Main thing I can say is you want to make sure he's enjoying his crate time. Try leaving it open for a few days so he can come and go as he pleases and only let him have a certain treat or toy when he's in there. Soon he'll start associating the crate with good stuff and happily go in everynight for you.

you were very helpful i know i need to retrain him with the crate. actually i don't think he has been crate trained period. he was in a kennel but she never put him in a crate.
    anyways i will start slowly with him. i'm not sure though if that will do anything. now that he knows how to get himself out will he really stay in it ? i doubt it. we will see though, we
    will see.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Alot of dogs have this habit. Once they learn they can escape it's hard to stop them from trying (hard!)

We have a dog that escapes crates as well. Assuming you have the metal ones, we simply used either an industrial twist tie (not sure what to call it) to tie the latch down. Alternatively a clip (like the end of the leash) in the right spot (again, at the latch holding it down) worked as well. the goal is to tie down teh latch so that only human fingers can undo it.

Hopefully your boy isn't wearing a collar, with that type of escape froma crate he could really hurt himself.

Another though, how about thos very hard plastic ones? they might be more sturdy (unless he's able to chew thru)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

"Another though, how about thos very hard plastic ones? they might be more sturdy (unless he's able to chew thru)"

yeah right. this boy chewed his self a lice large hole in a chain link fence. omg!!!!!
    that is a good ides the clips or ties though . i will try that.