How did you know your puppy was for you
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you know your puppy was for you

DefaultHow did you know your puppy was for you

I find this so interesting, how do we know our dog was write for us.
    I was jsut saying on another thread, about when my Brother and law went to get his lab pup, that my dad and the breeder we got millie from said stand back and let the puppy pick you.A few dogs came over to sandy and when he bent down to see the puppys millie was round about him licking his ears and he knew she was the dog for him, near enough 3 years gone and they are still as happy as ever

Same when i got my Lab kassie ( in the picture below) There was at the time only 2 dogs for us to pick from due to us on chance meeting the breeder at a gamefair.When we met kassie and her sister, kassie was straight to me and the bond with us was instant. I know kassie picked me (and i will be honest she is ment to be for the fmaily but is really my dog) Kassie is 9 now and i still know to this day she was the right puppy for me.And our bond is even stronger now.

So can anyone else share there first moments knowing that there puppy was for them.Sorry if my post also doesn't make sense lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How did you know your puppy was for you

^ For sure. We wanted a chocolate male. I called a breeder who had 2 in that litter that would be ready at the perfect time for us.

We went to the kennel and she brought them out. One of them was curious and confident. He checked us out and explored the play area. He was good about letting us pet and hold him.

The other was much more timid. Hid behind the breeder's legs. Whined when held. It was a clear choice. Plus we liked Rupert's coloring better. He is milk chocolate whereas the other was more like topsoil.

I had my name on a waiting list for one of Henry's breeder's pups before they were even born. I had filled out an extensive questionnaire as well as had an interview with her before the pups were born, and had told her what I was looking for as far as what I planned to do with him. At the time, I knew nothing of competing in obedience or rally or fieldwork, and just wanted ultimately to have a well-behaved family companion.

I completely trusted her to pick a pup for me that would compliment my personality and what I wanted to do with him/her. After all, she was with these pups 24/7 for 8 weeks so she knew them better than anybody else. I went to visit the pups every week from the time they were 4 weeks old until they were ready to go home. I didn't know which one would be mine, but looking back, of all the pics I took of that litter, the majority of them were of Henry. He was also a "talker"... not a barker, he just "talked". Apparently he talked more when I was there. LOL! So maybe he chose me?

I'm currently on another waiting list for another pup. I've been on this list before she was even bred. This time around I'm looking specifically for a yellow girl with whom I can do obedience, rally and fieldwork with, and again, I will trust her breeder to help me to pick the right pup for us.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I knew that Baloo was the one for us because we had our name on a waiting list for a black male, and he was the only one, out of ten puppies born.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Oooh, that's fate, Kate!

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I heard our son say, very quietly, "This one, Mom", and turned around to see this:

A couple of minutes later I saw this and my husband nodding.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    Oooh, that's fate, Kate!

Ha!! I really need a name that doesn't rhyme with so many words... :embarrass:
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

When we got Bess, my first Lab, she was the only one available from the breeder and was described as the runt of her litter and not show quality (the breeder was active in showing Labs). In those years, (almost) all Labs in the US were black.

When I got Puff, I wanted a field line yellow Lab from a competing breeder. (I mistakenly thought a field line Lab would be smarter and easier to train -- not so.) (Since the hot Kansas sun is mighty tough on a black dog, I wanted a yellow for a bit of relief -- probably true but the sun's still pretty hot on all colors.)

I found an acceptable breeder (he was the president of a regional HT/FT Lab group; all his dogs are AKC registered, have all clearances) about 200 miles away and drove to see the puppies. The parents weighed around 80 lbs, and the litter of all yellow pups were expected to do the same. I prefer a smaller Lab -- easier to fit in the sailboat, car, or on the bed.

Suddenly I saw a smaller pup. I asked about it and was told she was the runt of the litter and was handfed by the breeder's pre-teen daughters because she couldn't compete with her larger sibs for a nipple. At 9 weeks when I got her, Puff weighed 6 lbs. to the 12 lbs. @ of all her littermates.

Having had such a fabulous experience with runt Bess, that immediately sold me on Puff. Puff came home with me that night and has become an excellent choice and companion. Not a Bess, a slight disappointment because I wanted her to be a therapy dog but that's not in her nature -- she's been a one-person Lab -- but still excellent in her own way.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

doglover12 Guest

well i had 2 to choose from quite difficult it was as both pupies choose my boyfriend and I. We were there for over an hour trying to pick which one as they both picked us, One was completely black & Amber has a white dot on the chest, We both liked the white dot on the chest so we picked that one.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Our breeder picked Milly for us. We advised her that we wanted a chocolate female and she had 3 from her litter. Milly was the only one without a white dot on her chest but we really didn't care. We did the interview and spoke to her lots over the phone where she grilled us on how we would look after her and asked about our lifestyles and why we wanted a puppy and what personalities we had etc...

She told us that Milly was the better one for us and we hadn't had a puppy of our own for years so we trusted her judgement and Milly is exactly how the breeder said she would be, albeit probably a bit more placid and quiet than we expected. But we are so happy with our quiet little girl... even at Obedience she's the one sitting to the side watching all the other pups being all boisterious with a big curious look on her face ... she'll look at me to say "wow... why are they so rough Mum?" and if one comes up to her they seem to "get" what she's like and they mellow down and all they do is play a bit of kissy/bitey face.

She's truly an unreal dog. I wish that I lived closer to some of you so you could all meet her!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast