chow hound/potty monster

Thread: chow hound/potty monster

Defaultchow hound/potty monster

This puppy is giving new meaning to the word chow hound! He gets four cups of puppy food a day and he thinks he is just starving. I've had to put a baby gate up so Happy and Lucky can enjoy their meal without this puppy diving in it and gobbling it up like he hasn't eaten in a week! I have to physically restrain the little snipper so they can eat their food and then he whines and hollers at the gate because he wants there's too. Is he going to grow out of this? I've been splitting his meals up but he dont care he still thinks he's just starving to death.

and this whole potty training thing...I swear sometimes he goes every 15 minutes for an hour and a half straight!! And he sneaks into the hallway to go #2 at like 2 in the morning. >.> He's three months now we should be able to be getting the idea down for him now shouldn't we?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: chow hound/potty monster

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGirl
    and this whole potty training thing...I swear sometimes he goes every 15 minutes for an hour and a half straight!! And he sneaks into the hallway to go #2 at like 2 in the morning. >.> He's three months now we should be able to be getting the idea down for him now shouldn't we?
    A 3 month old puppy should not have the opportunity to "sneak" anywhere at night. He should be crated overnight or at the VERY least physically connected to your bed if you don't want him to be crated. That way he can at least have the opportunity to wake you if he needs to go out.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

I've had a gate up in the hallway so he only has access to my room and a little corner of the hallway but I see now what you mean. I've been trying to get him use to the crate but he's very stubborn about it and I'm probably being to soft on him. My other two love the crates and he will go into an open one, in fact he slept in Lucky's the other night and she layed on the outside by him and Happy beside her. But if I close it he goes ballistic. He hollers like he is in extreme pain. I've given him toys and his kong as treats when he goes in there and lays down, but closing it he wants no part of I actually layed by the crate for a couple of nights while training Lucky so she wasn't scared and I tried laying down it with him, but he kept hollering and yipping and yelping and hollering at me. I figured he's just being stubborn about it and it's going to take some more time and patience, I know you don't want to make them think it's a punishment it's suppose to be a safe haven and they like going in there. Which the other two do.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

A 3 month old puppy should not have the opportunity to "sneak" anywhere at night. He should be crated overnight or at the VERY least physically connected to your bed if you don't want him to be crated. That way he can at least have the opportunity to wake you if he needs to go out.
    Ours is 3 months old and I don't trust him as far as I can throw him. We keep a constant eye on him when not crated. I've left him alone for no more than 2 minutes and come back to find a nice pile of poop.