Doser talks back

Thread: Doser talks back

DefaultDoser talks back

hi all. i am new here to the board. new to labs also. many of you may have met me and Doser on the introductions forum.
    anyways....

my question is this. i have never really had a dog that talks back. Doser is very high energy. he has a high toy drive.goes crazy for it. he knows to sit for his toy before i will throw it. the thing is this. some times when he is really into the game. i will hold the toy up and wait for him to sit nicely or just sit period. there are times he is being impatient and he will bark at me. if i call his name sternly he will give a bark again. i usually just take the toy and put it up for a minute. then he calms down and i bring it out again and he's fine. is him barking a sign of dominance ? or is it just him so into the game? he will also growl with tug of war games if i get into it with him. i've had that in dogs before, but the barking at me i have not encountered that before. he will also do this at night. when i get the kids to bed and have him in his crate at night, i will usually let him out for a last bathroom outing, when i let him out he is full of energy and bull dozes through the crate door and does his jumping in mid air thing, then when i want him to sit for his collar to be put on he will bark at me, several times.i'm hoping someone can give me some insight as to what this is. dominance or a high strung active dog ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Doser talks back

some times when he is really into the game. i will hold the toy up and wait for him to sit nicely or just sit period. there are times he is being impatient and he will bark at me. if i call his name sternly he will give a bark again. i usually just take the toy and put it up for a minute. then he calms down and i bring it out again and he's fine. is him barking a sign of dominance ? or is it just him so into the game?
    He is not dominant. Vocalizing through barking is his way of saying 'HURRY UP! FASTER, FASTER, FASTER!'. If you don't want him to bark while you are playing fetch, don't throw the toy until he has stopped. Infact, tell him sternly to 'QUIET!', wait until he has stopped and then throw the toy.

he will also growl with tug of war games if i get into it with him. i've had that in dogs before, but the barking at me i have not encountered that before.
    This is quite normal. A play growl is very different from an aggressive growl. Vocalizing in this way during play is nothing to worry about.

Dozer sounds like a typical active dog. Do you walk him every day? if you don't, he sounds like he would benefit from a structured exercise routine. I know it is easy to rely on tiring out a high drive dog with fetch games, but metally it doesn't do them a lot of good. It tends to wind them up rather then calm them down, particularly if it is their main source of exercise and therefore their main focus in life. Fetch is good, but like everything it is good in moderation. High drive dogs generally excel at dog sports. You don't mention how old Dozer is, but something like agility might be worth looking into for him.

thanks for your reply.i was nervous i was not going to get a reply back.
    anyways though, yeah i know the growling during tug is nothing to worry about. it was just the barking that i was curious about. i don't mind it at all. i love the high strung syndrome he has. i love my energetic dog. i was just wanting to know if i should be concerned about this being dominance. because he is not shy. he is very frisky and confident.he has been getting good excercise. he goes for walks.plus the park to do fetch and some obed training. at home i have the boys hide and him go find them.and obedience training in the house. he gets a good amount of stimulation. i def. want to do advanced obed. with him.doser is 7 months old

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stockylab08
    hi all. i am new here to the board. new to labs also. many of you may have met me and Doser on the introductions forum.
    anyways....

my question is this. i have never really had a dog that talks back. Doser is very high energy. he has a high toy drive.goes crazy for it. he knows to sit for his toy before i will throw it. the thing is this. some times when he is really into the game. i will hold the toy up and wait for him to sit nicely or just sit period. there are times he is being impatient and he will bark at me. if i call his name sternly he will give a bark again. i usually just take the toy and put it up for a minute. then he calms down and i bring it out again and he's fine. is him barking a sign of dominance ? or is it just him so into the game? he will also growl with tug of war games if i get into it with him. i've had that in dogs before, but the barking at me i have not encountered that before. he will also do this at night. when i get the kids to bed and have him in his crate at night, i will usually let him out for a last bathroom outing, when i let him out he is full of energy and bull dozes through the crate door and does his jumping in mid air thing, then when i want him to sit for his collar to be put on he will bark at me, several times.i'm hoping someone can give me some insight as to what this is. dominance or a high strung active dog ?
    It is interesting that you mentioned about the jumping in the air thing. Our lab is 7 months old too and he gets a long walk every day. Last night after doing several very fast laps around the dining room table he leapt into my wifes lap (she was sitting on the sofa). Imagine her suprise when she saw 70lbs of lab hurtling towards her at speed. :surprise:

that sounds too funny. he has not pulled anything like that,yet.... :surprise:

does everyone else agree with the previous poster about my questions ?

that sounds too funny. he has not pulled anything like that,yet.... :surprise:

does everyone else agree with the previous poster about my questions ?
    Absolutely - Trickster's advice is (as usual) dead on. If it is any consolation - mine is a big time talker as well. I usually ignore it and if he persists - his big sister (my Shepherd) likes to shut him up.

well thankyou all who have posted.see i took it he was trying to boss me around. and still i guess that is what he is trying to do. so i guess i dont get how that would not be him trying to dominate. hhhmmm? :whatever:

i guess i should take it like one of my children whining about something. trying to get their way. ???? yes?

hey since i have a fews attention here can some one give me a yes on if my Doser is what they are calling a dudley ?
    and also how come my signature is no longer working? when i first put it on it was huge. and i dont know how to resize it. and now it just does not show up anymore.

Looks pretty Dudley to me. Yellow lab with Chocolate skin - yup he is a Dudley. He is a cutie!

sarah is offline Senior Member

well thankyou all who have posted.see i took it he was trying to boss me around. and still i guess that is what he is trying to do. so i guess i dont get how that would not be him trying to dominate. hhhmmm? :whatever:

i guess i should take it like one of my children whining about something. trying to get their way. ???? yes?

hey since i have a fews attention here can some one give me a yes on if my Doser is what they are calling a dudley ?
    and also how come my signature is no longer working? when i first put it on it was huge. and i dont know how to resize it. and now it just does not show up anymore.
    He's just excited ... think of a kid squealing and shouting cause they are having fun and enjoying themselves.... kids get pretty loud when they play without realising it ... he's just excited from playing with you. I think it's adorable that he gets so into it!

Milly will ONLY bark when we play. She won't bark or whine at obedience, on our walk at other dogs, at the postman, passers by etc - ONLY when she is excited from playtime.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia