Batman is acting a fool

Thread: Batman is acting a fool

DefaultBatman is acting a fool

Okay, Batman is going on 6-7 months old now. He has always been fairly well behaved compared to some horror stories I hear and he listens and learns easily. We always kept him in a kennel / crate when we were not at home and over night. After a while he could go all night without waking up or peeing and a few weeks after that we started letting him sleeping our room with the doors shut. We still crated him up when we left. He did very well with that, would sleep all night and not pee or bug us in the bed. He slept on the floor and was really being perfect as far as I am concerned. Eventually we left him out all the time, got a doggy door and he is very good with that. We just close off any areas of the house where we dont want him.

On our walks he was getting very good about not pulling, not making pit stops and ignoring other dogs / people. We started taking him to an area of the neighborhood by a lake that has no houses or anything around it yet and letting him off the leash. He runs around like a mad man for half an hour or so but does very good with sticking near us and comes back when were ready to go.

This brings us up to about 2 weeks ago or so when he was the perfect puppy. Then suddenly one day he decided he wanted to pee in our bed after a walk. I scolded him and that night I shut our bedroom door and made him sleep out of our room but still in the general area of the house. When I woke up the next morning I noticed he had chewed up some of our rug. He did this once before months ago and was scolded and never did it again until this time. That night again he jumped up into our bed and peed. I was pretty ticked off so I put him in his crate that night. The next day he was being a perfect puppy again and a few days went by that he didn't do much wrong. Then it happened a third time, he peed in our bed. I left him in the general area of the house that night and woke up to find he had scratched a small (maybe 2" diameter) hole half way thru the sheet rock to our room. He had never done that before but he did it again a few days later. Today I went home to find he had chewed the rug again but last night he had slept in our room and was perfect.

I don't understand whats causing this slip in his behavior. I am wondering if maybe letting him off the leash for a while on our walks is making him think hes in charge? So maybe he's coming home and trying to mark our bed as his?? The only other thing that I can think of that has changed recently is we put him on some different food because with the old stuff he was pooping A LOT and had bad gas all the time. I can't think of anything else that we changed recently and suddenly that could result in this sudden change of behavior. I also wonder if he's maybe sleeping too much thru the day and then being more active at night now. But if that was the case, why suddenly start doing things he knows is wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Batman is acting a fool

First off, he's way too young to have that much freedom in the house, so go back to crating while youre gone and at night (if you're not letting him sleep in your room). I'm assuming he's not neutered? He's at the age where his hormones are starting to act up and peeing on your bed (where you sleep) is a way of acting out. I wouldn't stop your off leash romps, if anything I'd up the exercise to tire him out...a tired dog isn't naughty Have you taken an obedience class? That would be good for making sure he know where he is in the pack as well as give him some mental exercise.

I wondered about the neutering thing too, he'll be getting that done soon and I'll be looking into the obedience training. I'll also try going back a step where we leave him in the room at night and crate him during the day, if he still is acting up then maybe I'll take it back another step and crate him at night too. At what point will most dogs be okay to have more freedom in the house when we are gone?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by animuL
    I wondered about the neutering thing too, he'll be getting that done soon and I'll be looking into the obedience training. I'll also try going back a step where we leave him in the room at night and crate him during the day, if he still is acting up then maybe I'll take it back another step and crate him at night too. At what point will most dogs be okay to have more freedom in the house when we are gone?
    I think that's a really individual thing. I think our Otis (15 months) would not be destructive or have accidents if we left him out, but he would be nervous. So we crate him whenever we leave. He sleeps loose in our bedroom at night. My dog growing up was crated at night and whenever she was alone at home until the day she was put to sleep at 15 years old. She prefered it. When we would get ready to go to bed, she would walk over to her crate, look at us, the crate door, and back, until we put her in. Same thing when we would leave.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.