Excessive barking - animal control called
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Excessive barking - animal control called

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

DefaultExcessive barking - animal control called

Well I've got a big problem on my hands now. I mentioned in another thread that young Rupert barks and whines incessantly when we leave him alone anywhere. As long as he is with someone, it doesn't have to be my wife or I, he's great.

He doesn't misbehave when left alone but I guess he gets scared and is calling for us for love and attention.

We left him in our fenced yard with water and toys last night when we went to do errands and this morning for a bit while getting ready. A little while ago, the town animal control officer stopped by and said someone filed a complaint.

We just got Rupert when we moved to our new home. My wife hasn't started work yet as we're settling in, but she will on Monday. So we're staring at trouble in a hurry. I don't want to crate him all day. We had planned to get him a dog house and leave him out during the day provided it was nice.

What I guess I can do in the meantime is crate him in an extra large crate my parents gave me for when he gets bigger. Put some newspaper on one side to do his business, and his bed on the other.

Does this seem reasonable temporarily? Or does anyone have a suggestion?

HELLLLP! :no: :death:

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Excessive barking - animal control called

Well, for the moment, he needs to be crated indoors when you leave. Until your wife starts work, try to make sure you won't be gone longer than he can hold his bladder/bowels so that he doesn't have accidents. Once your wife starts at work, will it be possible for someone to come home during the day to let him out? I think that's better than leaving him with room to go inside a crate - IMO that just confuses the crate training issue.

Another thing you might want to consider is going around to your closest neighbors and explaining to them that you have a puppy and that you'll be crate training him over the next week, two weeks, etc. Try and overestimate the amount of time it will take for him to not bark in the crate, and they'll be pleasantly surprised when he's quiet before you told them he would be. Although, mostly likely if he's indoors in a crate he won't be noisy enough for them to complain about, anyway.

For the long-term, I think you need to rethink your plan of leaving him outdoors, especially if animal control has already been called. A crate trained dog is much more likely to just sleep all day than one who is left alone in the backyard. Never mind the fact that he can get himself into a lot of trouble left unsupervised in a backyard (esp as a puppy), a dog doesn't really entertain himself. If he's in the backyard he's going to be looking for stimulation all day, most likely. He'll get that stimulation by digging holes, eating sticks, rocks, etc, and barking. I think it's much better to train him to love his crate and then just leave him in it while you're gone. And if a dog loves his crate, he doesn't see it as punishment, so you don't have to feel like a bad owner for leaving him in it. It's his safe place in the house, his den where he can just relax.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by VTEnviro
    Well I've got a big problem on my hands now. I mentioned in another thread that young Rupert barks and whines incessantly when we leave him alone anywhere. As long as he is with someone, it doesn't have to be my wife or I, he's great.

He doesn't misbehave when left alone but I guess he gets scared and is calling for us for love and attention.

We left him in our fenced yard with water and toys last night when we went to do errands and this morning for a bit while getting ready. A little while ago, the town animal control officer stopped by and said someone filed a complaint.

We just got Rupert when we moved to our new home. My wife hasn't started work yet as we're settling in, but she will on Monday. So we're staring at trouble in a hurry. I don't want to crate him all day. We had planned to get him a dog house and leave him out during the day provided it was nice.

What I guess I can do in the meantime is crate him in an extra large crate my parents gave me for when he gets bigger. Put some newspaper on one side to do his business, and his bed on the other.

Does this seem reasonable temporarily? Or does anyone have a suggestion?

HELLLLP! :no: :death:
    At 11 weeks old he is just plain too young to leave on his own in the yard - even if it is fenced. He is like a very small child. I am sure he is scared - he is also bound to dig out or eat something that might hurt him.

You need to crate train him with an appropriately sized crate. He should only be in the crate for as long as he can hold it - which means that during the workday someone will have to come home to let him out. If you allow him to be in a larger crate with newspaper so he can relieve himself while you are gone - then you are going to delay him being properly housetrained.

Sorry - probably not the answer you wanted.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Find out who the neighbor was that complained, invite them around for dinner & feed them a generous helping of rat poison. :vomit:

I think that's better than leaving him with room to go inside a crate - IMO that just confuses the crate training issue.
    Hadn't thought of that, but it makes good sense. I'll stear clear of that.

Another thing you might want to consider is going around to your closest neighbors and explaining to them that you have a puppy and that you'll be crate training him over the next week, two weeks, etc.
    Extending an olive branch to them couldn't hurt.

For the long-term, I think you need to rethink your plan of leaving him outdoors, especially if animal control has already been called.
    I think you're right. And at least inside there's AC. I don't know just what sort of power animal control has but I don't want to find out. Also I don't want to be a bad neighbor.

If he's in the backyard he's going to be looking for stimulation all day, most likely. He'll get that stimulation by digging holes, eating sticks, rocks, etc, and barking.
    At 11 weeks old he is just plain too young to leave on his own in the yard - even if it is fenced. He is like a very small child. I am sure he is scared - he is also bound to dig out or eat something that might hurt him.
    Those are both things I've considered. Growing up we never left the dog out for the whole day. There's a lot that can happen. My wife feels it will be cruel to crate him all day and is pushing to leave him outside with a dog house and a small fenced in pen. I think she's swaying me on this one, but realistically it is probably not a good option for the reasons you both list. (Her family did leave the dog out, so we're coming at it from different viewpoints.)

He's been great about all the other training we've given him so far, I'm sure this will just take time. It's 25-30 minutes for me to come home to let him out. So if I suck down a sandwich in the car, let him eat and potty for a few, and head back, I can probably just plan to stay a little later. She has a lengthy train ride into the city so she totally couldn't.

Inconvenient, but not impossible.

He's been great about all the other training we've given him so far, I'm sure this will just take time. It's 25-30 minutes for me to come home to let him out. So if I suck down a sandwich in the car, let him eat and potty for a few, and head back, I can probably just plan to stay a little later. She has a lengthy train ride into the city so she totally couldn't.

Inconvenient, but not impossible.
    I know you said you just moved to the neighborhood, but do you know if there are any older middle-school or younger high-school aged kids living there? Old enough to be responsible, but young enough to not be able to get a job for the summer? If you're able to financially, you might be able to pay someone and have them come over and let him out during the day. It'd probably be cheaper than using the gas to drive an extra hour each day!

The next door neighbors have a few school age kids. We thought about asking them to walk the dog sometimes but this would work too. We only have met them once or twice though so I don't know how comfy I feel asking them yet.

The guy we are renting from has a stay at home wife with a small kid. She offered to come by and play with the dog during the day.

We also thought about putting up some baby gates in the kitchen and letting him stay there for the day with some newspaper for doing his business. He's not particularly destructive and would bark less if not crated. Does that seem at all reasonable?

The next door neighbors have a few school age kids. We thought about asking them to walk the dog sometimes but this would work too. We only have met them once or twice though so I don't know how comfy I feel asking them yet.

The guy we are renting from has a stay at home wife with a small kid. She offered to come by and play with the dog during the day.

We also thought about putting up some baby gates in the kitchen and letting him stay there for the day with some newspaper for doing his business. He's not particularly destructive and would bark less if not crated. Does that seem at all reasonable?
    I'd be interested to see what others have to say on this subject, but these are my thoughts:

Would the stay at home mom be comfortable taking the puppy out, cleaning up possible accidents, and playing with him? If yes, then I think that's a great option. I do think you'd still have to pay her, even though she offered. The school kids are definitely another option, but make sure you meet their parents and make sure you trust the kids before you sign them on. I started my petsitting career when I was about 8, but I was animal crazy. Your average kid I think would be ready for this type of responsibility at around 11 or 12. Also make sure you have clear expectations and rules set out - you can/can't get a drink, watch TV, etc etc etc.

Baby gates for the kitchen I personally wouldn't do. Leaves too many options for being destructive and getting into trouble. Puppies will surprise you with the ways they can find to destroy things and hurt themselves. If you work on the crate training, he probably won't bark in the crate, either, once he's acclimated to it.

i would have to agree with the crate training.. i know i wasn't a big crate fan when we first got our puppy, but my husband insisted bc his family always used them (mine never did).. I wanted to put a baby gate up in the kitchen like u said.. we tried that for a few days, but she was very nervous in there.. she would never just lay down and relax.. always pacing back and forth.. So I finally gave in and we started to crate her at night and whenever we went out... she was fine at night while we were there (the crate is in our bedroom), but she would bark crazy as soon as she heard us leave.. we actually videotaped her once while we went to dinner.. we played it back and she NEVER stopped.. i felt sooo bad and i was afraid the neighbors were gonna get annoyed.. needless to say we didn't go out to dinner for awhile after that lol.. but she actually adjusted very well and got used to staying in there for longer periods of time.. now she LOVES her crate and so do I It is def her safe place.. she is very relaxed in there and doesn't care if we are there or not... Now she is a little over a year old and my husband is saying she doesn't need the crate anymore and I am the one agruing for keeping it

It may be tough for a little while in the beginning.. but it is DEF the better long-term solution!!

Dani is offline Senior Member

I love that people think crates are cruel. My boys love them. Rookie is still crated during the day at 16 months becuase he DOES tend to get into things that are not safe for him, and things that make me mad to find shredded. RIder is no longer crated and was granted free reign of the house at 7 months. Never had a problem. They sleep during the day. Dogs don't entertain themselves and take themselves out for a "run". I go home every day at lunch to get away from the office and to let the boys out. It's totally worth it and I get to see my boys.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast