Agility Q - NLR

Thread: Agility Q - NLR

DefaultAgility Q - NLR

Hello All,

I just received an email from my Agility trainer regarding starting my Riggs in Agility. I had enquired about it about a month ago and was waiting for a new class to start.

By the time we start, Riggs will be 11 months old. I have heard that this is a bit too young to start, but the trainer says that its ok so long as he doesn't jump full height. What do you think? There is a 11 month old Doberman in Marlan's class who jumps a 22 although he is clearly a 26.

Thanks for the advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Agility Q - NLR

There's no reason you can't start the class, as long as you are consistent about keeping the jump poles on the ground or at 6 inches for now. There's plenty of foundation work that a young dog can do, contact behaviour, working away from you, left and right turns, focus forward, etc.

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Agility Q - NLR

I wouldn't jump a dog (not sure what breed Rigs is) any higher then the height of his hocks (back knees sort of) until I was quite sure he'd done growing

also I'd avoid full weaves and full height aframe too until he was dine growing ... however I start my dogs in agility whenever they arrive- kaytris is right in that there is a TON of good foundation work you can do with young dogs
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller