Going home at 6wks?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going home at 6wks?

SweetRuiN is offline Member

DefaultGoing home at 6wks?

I'm sorry for all the questions, everyone! We've been considering a puppy for awhile now, and have looked into numerous MI/IN breeders. I've found a few with litters upcoming/available, and there's one imparticular that I'm excited to go and meet with.

Well, I was, at least, until I realized that they send the puppies home at 6wks.

I was under the impression that most "reputable" breeders insist on keeping the puppies until they're at least 8wks old, some even as old as 12wks.

Our first Lab we got at 5wks old (we had no idea what we were doing, sadly), and I know now that that's just too young to take them home, they need more time with littermates and Momma.

Should I walk away? I'm afraid to "call them on this." If I'm uncomfortable, I should just decline...but I want to make sure I'm not overreacting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Going home at 6wks?

Personally, I wouldn't take a pup home at 6 weeks. They're still learning sooo much from their mom and their littermates between weeks 6 and 8. But that's my humble opinion.

brody is offline Senior Member

if you aren't comfortable raising the issue I'd also walk ... there should be NOTHING wrong with saying you'd rather they kept the puppy with any puppy they might be keeping and mom til they were 7-8 weeks old

explore the issue with them - perhaps you can figure something out
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

In NJ it is illegal for puppies be sold prior to 8 weeks of age. That 2 week period is VERY important. Labs are very mouthy puppies to begin with - one sent to a home that early is bound to have poor bite inhibition. I would much rather he learned that from his mom that from my hands, if he were mine.

Gene Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog

In NJ it is illegal for puppies be sold prior to 8 weeks of age. That 2 week period is VERY important. Labs are very mouthy puppies to begin with - one sent to a home that early is bound to have poor bite inhibition. I would much rather he learned that from his mom that from my hands, if he were mine.
    I agree! We brought Merlot home at 5 weeks and my hands looked like raw hamburger for months. :no: Still have little scars two years later.

sarah is offline Senior Member

I agree with this, I have only had 1 labrador puppy in my whole life but there are a few people around me (workmates etc) that also have Labs and they can't believe how non-mouthy Milly is. I believe that one of the key factors is that Milly was bordering on 10 weeks when we finally brought her home... all my fellow Lab owners around me had their puppies at 6weeks from a BYB.

It is worth it in my opinion to wait. (and I am a really impatient person too!)
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sarahnye

I agree with this, I have only had 1 labrador puppy in my whole life but there are a few people around me (workmates etc) that also have Labs and they can't believe how non-mouthy Milly is. I believe that one of the key factors is that Milly was bordering on 10 weeks when we finally brought her home... all my fellow Lab owners around me had their puppies at 6weeks from a BYB.

It is worth it in my opinion to wait. (and I am a really impatient person too!)
    Our Otis is a Golden/Lab mix. Mixed to be mouthy! However, he was with his mother until 7 weeks, and with his littermates until 10.5 weeks. He was the least mouthy puppy I have ever known. I think that it's very important to have those extra weeks with the mother and littermates. If they won't try and work with you at least, then I would walk.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I'd run (not walk) and I'd let them know why. You can tell very little about puppies' personalities, structure, etc, at 6 wks. Breeders who let their pups go that early, imo, are clueless about breeding and are probably more afraid of their food and vet bills than anything. You can assume the pups won't be getting comprehensive vet well checks, or CERFs... let alone good social stimulation. Run fast.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

doglover12 Guest

Hi i got my golden retirever Einstein when he was 6 weeks old the breeder normally doesn't let them go till 8 weeks, Something came up and she had to go away for 5 months so told everyone to come a collect there pups. I didn't find it too bad EInstein didn't mouth,dig,chew or anything like that. The only thing Einstein chewed was his toys. The only thing is i had to feed him 4 times and mushy food unlike with 8 week old pups where they can eat dog biscuits. I had to feed him his mushy food and 4 times a day till he was 8 weeks old and gradually introduce dog biscuits and feed 3 times a day. Not all dogs can be so well behaved like my Einstein i guess i was lucky. From now on i will be buying my puppy at the age of 8 weeks, Altho i enjoyed having a 6 week old puppy it was difficult with feeding mushy food.

Dani is offline Senior Member

The only thing is i had to feed him 4 times and mushy food unlike with 8 week old pups where they can eat dog biscuits. Altho i enjoyed having a 6 week old puppy it was difficult with feeding mushy food.
    Actually, a 6 week old pup should be eating mostly dry at that point. A good breeder would have already introduced mush at 3 to 3.5 weeks and started transitioning them over to mostly dry (with a little splash of water) over at 5 weeks.

to the OP: I can recommend breeders in Michigan. PM me with what your looking for and I can help.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast