Crate training troubles
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate training troubles

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

DefaultCrate training troubles

It's been 2 weeks since we picked up our little chocolate lab, Rupert. He's a great dog. He's got a very gentle personality to him and is pretty well behaved. We're starting with basic sit and come types of commands and are making progress.

The one thing that we are totally stuck on though is his crate training. We crate him at night to avoid accidents. He can't stand it. He barks and whines and complains and generally just keeps us up. My wife or I have to lie next to him on the floor until he goes to sleep. This happens 2-3 times a night, whenever he wakes up or comes back inside from going to the bathroom.

I've never used it as a punishment tool and we've tried all the tricks to make it a happy place. It's a fine size and we have a soft bed and one of his toys in there.

I don't want him to think that if he barks I'll come down there and give him attention. I don't want to give into him, but we need sleep!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Crate training troubles

Either bring the crate into your room and put it next to your bed so you can give it a soft tap and tell him to settle, or cover the crate with a sheet to make it very dark and den-like and shut your bedroom door and ignore him. I have a 5 month old foster pup that is getting used to the crate. He barked and carried on for 20 minutes last night. I shut the den door where he was in and he eventually fell asleep and it was fine. You can't give in or you'll end up being trained, not the puppy.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

The crate is right next to the bed. I'll try the bedsheet tonight. It kinda makes sense.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

When I first got Odie I didn't have a problem at night with the crate in the bedroom. I remember the first night, a few seconds after I turned off the light in the bedroom he started to cry, but then I just said his name. He heard my voice and knew that I was nearby.

But when I wasn't around it was a different story. I used to put him in the crate in the mornings when I was taking a shower and getting ready for work. The noises this dog would make were unexplainable. It was like he was being tortured.

As much as I wanted to go to him, and comfort him, I didn't. I waited until he was quite and calm before I would enter the room and let him out of the crate.

The whole point of ignoring the crys is to teach the dog that complaining doesn't help this situation. Eventually he'll learn that the only way he'll get out is to be quite and good.

how much room does Rupert have in the crate? I think size of the crate makes a difference, the crate we have was and adjustable one, her space was to much for her, so we made it smaller, and she has done great ever since, don't hear much out of her at all.

Our 1 yr old Chloe is crate trained and at the beginning we would play NPR radio during the night- the soft music and mellow voices really calmed her. After a few weeks, we turned it off and she was fine! The sheet over the crate worked well for us too.

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4margaritas
    how much room does Rupert have in the crate? I think size of the crate makes a difference, the crate we have was and adjustable one, her space was to much for her, so we made it smaller, and she has done great ever since, don't hear much out of her at all.
    We have an adjustable crate that is the right size for him at this point. He's been getting better. He didn't need go out at all last night. And the couple of times he got up to bark, we quietly shushed him from the bed and he was back asleep within 5 minutes.

But when I wasn't around it was a different story. I used to put him in the crate in the mornings when I was taking a shower and getting ready for work. The noises this dog would make were unexplainable. It was like he was being tortured.
    This is a problem for us too. He's slowly getting better at being around in the yard alone. But he still barks for attention pretty quickly. We don't crate him while we are around. At least we haven't yet. We've had enough difficulties with getting him to sleep in there we don't want him to think of it as punishment.

We haven't had a need to when we are around though. He's always around where we are. He's a mellow pup, happy to lie at your feet and sleep or chew a toy. He is good about not chewing what he shouldn't.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Put Rupert's crate in your room and place a blanket over it (if you haven't already) to make it nice and cosy and dark for him. Milly used to complain loudly when it was bed time, as soon as we put it in our room she was ok. She'd still whine a little and we'd just say "sshh!" and she'd stop and go to sleep.

One word of advice though - while you have the blanket over the crate make sure Rupert doesn't sneak a squeaky toy into his crate without you noticing (when it's dark it is sometimes hard to see toys in there!) From experience, you DON'T want to be woken at 3am by "squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak" argh - and then the crying we got after we took it off her was priceless!

Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Try to use the crate throughout the day, when you are home or not. Feed him in the crate. Play fetch games in and around the crate. Put him in the crate with a cookie, shut the door then let him out 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 20 minutes later. Vary his day so that he never knows whether this is going to be a short stay or bedtime.

Scrolls01 Guest

I see this post for crate training. The question is, how do I do it with a 13 month old male that I got from the shelter. I left him in the crate for a couple hours today, and he didn't go in it at all, but as soon as I took him out, he went on the kitchen floor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast