Marking!

Thread: Marking!

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultMarking!

Ive had such a job with Alfie marking this week! We had our lesson Tuesday, he was sent out for the dummy..he would pick it up go and have a wee then bring it back! Everytime he was sent away he had to pee 1st. Today in the park he was marking so much he had nothing left.

He is being neutered Wednesday (yayyy) and is 14 months old but i want to know will the marking stop once he has had the operation? And how can i make him stop if he continues as its affecting his concentration when training.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Marking!

It won't stop on a dime, I can tell you that. Testosterone continues to ring around the system for a good 6 months or so after neutering. Not like turning off a faucet.

I'd get him involved in another activity to offset the marking. A WATCH ME or a COME command or something to divert his attention. I use NO SNIFF. With an intact male, if he's not sniffing, he's not peeing, generally.

His urge to mark should decrease after neutering, but you're also dealing with a training issue. If you're doing retriever work, your trainer should be able to help him come straight back to you after a retrieve by either keeping him on a long line or collar conditioning him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    It won't stop on a dime, I can tell you that. Testosterone continues to ring around the system for a good 6 months or so after neutering. Not like turning off a faucet.

I'd get him involved in another activity to offset the marking. A WATCH ME or a COME command or something to divert his attention. I use NO SNIFF. With an intact male, if he's not sniffing, he's not peeing, generally.
    Yep i meant when does it go out there symstem i know there will be some adjusting to his hormones lol like the "no sniff" idea!

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    His urge to mark should decrease after neutering, but you're also dealing with a training issue. If you're doing retriever work, your trainer should be able to help him come straight back to you after a retrieve by either keeping him on a long line or collar conditioning him.
    Ooh. Better answer than mine. +1. I agree w/the longline suggestion.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

We had our lesson Tuesday, he was sent out for the dummy..he would pick it up go and have a wee then bring it back! Everytime he was sent away he had to pee 1st. Today in the park he was marking so much he had nothing left.
    ...and this is why I got my dogs done at 12 months.

I agree with the long line suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    Ooh. Better answer than mine. +1. I agree w/the longline suggestion.
    Also what is collar conditioning?