dominant puppy??
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dominant puppy??

Defaultdominant puppy??

Ok, I have a 12 1/2 week old black lab puppy. I adopted him when he was about 6 weeks out of an animal shelter (He mother was killed and the family who owned the mother could not take care of the puppies and sent them to a shelter). The problem i am having is he will snarl and try to bite me when it try to pick him up, not every time, just when he doesn't want to be picked up i guess. also when i walk him on the leash sometimes he freaks out and bites the leash and growls i think he is a little scared of cars and unfamilar things. Please help i do not want a dominant bad dog.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: dominant puppy??

also, we have a 5 year old(jake) lab in the house (the puppy's name is link), both of the dogs get along really well, Jake gets jealous of link when Link is getting attention.

There are a few easy things you can do to establish dominance over your dog.

1. When you walk through doors together, you go through first

2. When applicable, the dog doesn't get to eat his meal until after you've finished yours.

3. When playing any kind of tug game, the dog should never win.

4. Often times a dog will come up to you with a toy in it's mouth inviting you to play. Although it is hard to do sometimes, you need to get in the habit of ignoring this behavior most of the time. YOU decide when play time is. He doesn't

5. A lot of dogs learn very quickly to tell time. By that I mean they know when their meal time is approaching. And they'll give you a que. Such as sitting down in front of you and staring. By doing this, the dog is giving you a command. "feed me" You need to wait until the dog starts acting normally again before you feed him. Remember, YOU decide when he eats. He doesn't get to make decisions like that because he is not in charge.

So yeah, those are a few things to work on. I did all of this with Odie and he knows where is rank is in the pack. Not number one. That'd be me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I just started a post about my horrible puppy Bauer....I do ALL those things suggested above with our puppy and he is still a dominant nasty little you know what.....Those techniques are great advise to try, and I hope they work for you. Unfortunately, we do all the things we're supposed to do to show that he's number 3 but it doesnt do a thing....If those things don't correct his dominant behavior I suggest the help of a trainer to show you more hands on ways of asserting dominance!!!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Focussing on 'dominance' can set yourself up for a confrontational relationship with your puppy, and its really not necessary.

Your puppy may have been adopted a little early, and lack the bite inhibition normally learned from his mother and littermates. Since he doesn't like being held, start working on gently teaching him that restraint and handling is the best thing in the world. Start handfeeding his meals, mixing in some very high-value treats. For each treat/kibble, stroke the puppy gently. Work up to a brief touch on his paws, his ears and muzzle, then gently hold each body part.

For leash walking, let him drag the leash around the house and yard for a few days. Once he's fine with that, pick up the leash, and, without putting any tension on the lead, follow him around the yard. Next step will be encouraging him to follow you - again, with no tension on the lead, use your voice, hand claps, etc, to get him to move along with you.

A good puppy kindergarten will help with socialization and start you on basic obedience as well.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

I agree with kaytris i don't believe he is dominant either at such a younger age and probably adopted too young. Kaytris gave very good suggestions, just takes perseverance!

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    Focussing on 'dominance' can set yourself up for a confrontational relationship with your puppy, and its really not necessary.

Your puppy may have been adopted a little early, and lack the bite inhibition normally learned from his mother and littermates. Since he doesn't like being held, start working on gently teaching him that restraint and handling is the best thing in the world. Start handfeeding his meals, mixing in some very high-value treats. For each treat/kibble, stroke the puppy gently. Work up to a brief touch on his paws, his ears and muzzle, then gently hold each body part.

For leash walking, let him drag the leash around the house and yard for a few days. Once he's fine with that, pick up the leash, and, without putting any tension on the lead, follow him around the yard. Next step will be encouraging him to follow you - again, with no tension on the lead, use your voice, hand claps, etc, to get him to move along with you.

A good puppy kindergarten will help with socialization and start you on basic obedience as well.
    Its not that he doesn't liked to be petted or anything like that. It seems he will growl when i try to move him when he does not want to be moved. I will try your suggestions and the suggestions from scoper. thanks if you have any more tips send them my way, i dont want link to turn out to be a crazy dog.

here is a picture of both the dogs:

Attached Images Attached Images

kaytris is offline Senior Member

can you describe the situation/s when you need the puppy to move? Does he have an object at this time, or is he on the furniture without permission?

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

He's not dominant or aggressive. He's a puppy. Lab pups are the hardest pups to raise, in my opinion.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    can you describe the situation/s when you need the puppy to move? Does he have an object at this time, or is he on the furniture without permission?
    For example, i will be taking him out to pee and he might growl and try to bite at me when i pick him up to go back inside after he has done his business, he will usually be laying in the grass and i don't want to wait for him in the heat.

Also when i walk him sometimes he will just stop and lay down or sit, i have a harness on him should i just pull him a little bit to get him to go again. If i do pull him or pick him up by the harness he will continue to walk. But he may growl and try to bite me if i pick him up with my hands to get him to move.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast