Help! Out of Control Biting!

Thread: Help! Out of Control Biting!

DefaultHelp! Out of Control Biting!

Louie is doing extraordinarily well when it comes to housebreaking, sleeping in his crate, and being adorable. However, his biting problem is not improving - in fact, it's getting worse.

We've tried everything that's been suggested so far. Yelping "OWW!" (half the time because it really does hurt!), walking away and ignoring him when he does it, even holding his mouth closed. Nothing is working. Now he not only bites when we're on the floor playing with him, but when we take him outside on the leash he jumps up and grabs out pants with his teeth. He pulled my husband's shorts down last night!

We're very frustrated. It makes us angry when he attacks us and worried that he'll do it to someone else.

Please help!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help! Out of Control Biting!

I was just about to reply to your other thread and ask how the pooping is going. How's the pooping going?

Now, for the biting. He's not attacking you. He's a puppy - that's what they do. Until he's out of this puppy stage, he WILL do it to someone else. He'll do it to everybody. The good news is that it will stop. Not soon, but it will stop. And it will get better when he loses his needle-sharp puppy teeth.

As for things to do when he bites - the tough thing is that you have to pick a technique and stick with it. So if you're deciding to yelp, then you always have to yelp. If you're ignoring him, you always need to ignore. I, personally, wouldn't do the holding his mouth closed. Some dogs see that as just playing. One thing we did with Otis that he definitely did NOT see as playing was the tongue press. If he was bitey, I would grab his lower jaw, put firm pressure on his tongue, pinching it to the bottom of his mouth, and say, "NO BITE." Lots of times he kept biting at first, but as soon as he made a move to try and get away I would release him, and say, "GOOOOOD, no bite." And, it goes without saying, don't play bitey games with him.

Also, others may disagree with me, but I strictly limited the time I spent playing on the floor with Otis as a puppy. I didn't want to put him in a position where I knew he was likely to misbehave - biting, pawing, jumping, etc. It felt like setting him up for failure to me. So, until he was old enough to be fairly calm when we got down on the floor, I didn't do it.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I agree with MSULady, and if you have the willpower to avoid wrestling on the floor with that adorable bundle of fur and teeth (I sure didn't!), that's also a valuable suggestion.

Please also look at this recent thread, which covered a lot of the same ground:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,77413.0.html

As one who has been there, I can reassure you that most first-time owners of Lab puppies feel that their dog is uniquely depraved when it comes to biting. Rest assured that as long as you are consistent and patient, it WILL get better. That's the good news. The bad news is that it might (probably will) get worse before it gets better.

Re: leash walking, I had to laugh when I read that he pulled your husband's pants down. Hey, it was worth it for our amusement, right? Really, your puppy doesn't have a clue. He wants your husband to get his face down where he can see it, and where he can play and interact. Teaching leash walking to a bouncy puppy is an entire subject in itself, and you should be prepared for the whole gamut of potential responses, including jumping, nipping, pulling, dragging, sitting down and not moving, lying down and not moving, biting the leash, shaking the leash, tugging at the leash, tugging at your pants, and, yes, pulling your pants down.

There's nothing that beats real-life instruction, so my first recommendation on leash walking would be to get into a puppy class ASAP. My second recommendation would be a new belt or pair of suspenders.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

the link to the other post has some great advice. If you find that he's REALLY bad put his lead on him or a bit of rope through the loop in his collar and tie it somewhere so when you do get up and walk away from him he can't follow you or go far. Then when he settles down, go back to him and play some more - if he bites you again walk away and turn your back.

Say "NO bite" when he bites you and then walk away if you want to add a voice command. Because he's restricted it may help him "get it" a bit quicker. We actually did do this with Milly once, she got REALLY NAUGHTY for about 3 days the 3rd week we got her home. It was ridiculous... Dave was wrestling her on the floor and as a result got his ear torn open by one of her baby teeth too (he still has the scar!) So we got her leash and tied her up so she could not go far when we were ignoring her for biting and after 3 days all we needed was "owww!" or "No bite!"

Even to this day, if we are wrestling (we do this ALOT) and she gets a bit rough I just have to say "Oww Milly!" and she stops, sits and gives me the "sorry mumma I didn't mean to I promise" big sad face. I wait about 10 seconds and we actually keep eye contact and then I say "ok good girl" and we keep playing but after that she is definitely much gentler.

Everyone is right - you must have patience and it will take time to settle down and when they get their adult teeth it's not so painful.

cheers
    Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

justine is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MSUlady
    Also, others may disagree with me, but I strictly limited the time I spent playing on the floor with Otis as a puppy. I didn't want to put him in a position where I knew he was likely to misbehave - biting, pawing, jumping, etc. It felt like setting him up for failure to me. So, until he was old enough to be fairly calm when we got down on the floor, I didn't do it.
    I agree. My neighbor used to 'play wrestle' with Abbey on the floor, just rubbing her tummy, playing with her feet, etc and we noticed Abbey used to play bite when they did that, so after we cut that out, Abbey stopped biting almost completely...