Choke Collar diameter - Resistance

Thread: Choke Collar diameter - Resistance

LabsLand is offline Senior Member

DefaultChoke Collar diameter - Resistance

Hi All.

I don't normally buy over the internet things that need to fit, but I needed a new a package of Advantix now that Henna reached 50 pounds so I decided to buy her a new choke collar and a slip lead, and I think I probably made a mistake (or two):

The choke collar is called "Humane Choke Collar", http://www.dog.com/item/herm-sprenge...-choke-collar/. I chose the 22 inches one It is made of Chrome Plated Steel wire and it will probably fit her her in a couple of months (It is 2 inches too long for her right now) and that is ok. My concern is that it is really thin compared to the chain I have been using on her so far and I am concerned it may not resist one sudden pull from her in a couple of months. It seems to only come on that diameter (I am not sure its diameter but it is thiner than a pencil :suspious: maybe 3/16"). What do you think? Henna is not a puller but I don't want to test a product in a dangerous situation.

The slip lead is a 4' red lead and opposed to what happened to the choke collar, it looks to thick. It probably depends on preferences but would like to know what you think about using it on a bitch who is under 20" and about 50#. The lead is 3/8". It looks heavy. It is also hard although I guess it will soften with use but just wanted to hear from other users to see what they are using.

I will probably call dog.com tomorrow to see if there is any manufacturer specifications about how much "weight" that chain is supposed to resist.

Thanks for any opinion.

Best,

Nestor & Henna

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Choke Collar diameter - Resistance

If it is Herm Sprenger, it is good quality. It will be very durable and strong.

Often times when the chains get larger and larger, they don't offer a proper correction anymore because the links do not slide as easily. You don't want HUGE chains.

Thank you, Tessa!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My boys wear 22" chokes, so you must have a big girl It looks like it's basically a martingale or limited slip collar, so it shouldn't break, especially since you don't have a big puller. I use the thick slip leads on my dogs for agility and often times for walks...thinner slips allow for more control, but again since your girl's not a puller, you should be fine.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

I like a "ticker" slip lead. I would not worry about it too much.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast
    I like a "ticker" slip lead. I would not worry about it too much.
    Thank you!! It was tough buying stuff over the internet... I ended up with 2 collars almost identical :no:, and another one I liked. We'll see how it goes in real life.

Thanks again!