Help desperately need with my 6 month old called Jackson

Thread: Help desperately need with my 6 month old called Jackson

DefaultHelp desperately need with my 6 month old called Jackson

Really looking for some advice please. We have 2 black labs, Riley 4 years old and Jackson two weeks away from 6 months old. Jackson is our 4th labrador and a real baby but gorgeous and great fun! So different to our other labs. But we really do have a problem with him. Everything is going great with training and developing etc but he still cannot get the hang at telling us when he wants to go out into the garden during the day and evening. We have done since getting him at 8wks done all the usual training and timing of taking him out to the garden at certain times, after play, after sleep etc...we can even just take him out in garden, he does his wee and we spend time out there..come back in - then could be 10 or 20 minutes later he has done his NO.2's in the kitchen on no particular area of the floor. He then obviously re-appears (but we have no idea he has done this because he doesnt know how to tell us) we assume he has been playing in another room or with Riley...and then we find our 'present' at a later point. We have been trying to teach him to bark/or makea noise at the back door but he just stands/sits and stares at me/us like we are mad. Our other 3 labs never had this problem and it came naturally. We know each dog is an individual but we are stuck!! Can anyone help or advise us. Looking forward to hearing from anyone...ps: this is a brilliant forum!!Thanks Anji

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help desperately need with my 6 month old called Jackson

Hi Anji, welcome!
    I'll be of no help - Frankie (now 3) wasn't fully trained until about 1-1/2 years. :embarrass: Same with Tucker (he's 7 now). The way I finally trained Frankie was to tie a bell on the door and he immediately learned to ring the bell when he wanted to go out. I now have a 8 month old Golden Retriever and she learned the bell right away. She's been trained for months now.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Hi-thanks for the welcome and for your reply. I have heard of this and I think I can remember reading somewhere about a bell. Did you just find a place by the door and then each time you went to door to go out just keep encouraging them to ring it...giving a treat or how did you do it. Sorry to sound as if I am 'thick' in asking, just wanting a little guidance on how you did it. Much appreciated.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

I think the bell may be a solution for the long-term, but in the meantime you need to realize that Jackson has proven himself untrustworthy. If he keeps leaving you "presents" when he's unsupervised, then he can't be unsupervised. Don't give him the opportunity to have an accident when he's in a different room than you. Tether him to you, crate him when you can't be paying attention to him, anything necessary to keep him from continuing to use your kitchen as a bathroom. At 6 months old, he's certainly old enough that he shouldn't be "surprised" by poop. You should be able to pick up on the signals pretty well if he's physically connected to you via a leash/lead.

And some dogs never do learn to give a signal. My 14 month old is 100% solid housebroken, but he never gives us a "signal." He does what my husband and I call "the hard stare." He sits down in front of you, makes eye contact, and holds it, as long as necessary to take him out. No bark, whine, scratch at door. Just the stare.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

My husband trained Frankie to ring it. We got a regular size jingle bell (a bit smaller than a golf ball maybe) and tied it to the door with a leather shoelace. He put a small treat on the bell and when Frankie grabbed it, the bell rang and hubby opened the door right away and praised him. Macy learned it by watching Frankie.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

All dogs are different and learn sometimes in very different ways.

I think the bell method is worth a try.

However, it may be that he's in the rut of pooping in the house and considers that as THE place to go.

I suggest that you try to learn his schedule for peeing and pooping. When you let him out to pee (at the time he then poops 20 minutes later inside), spend extra time with him exercising him, playing fetch. Exercise helps bring on the bowel movements. KEEP exercising him until he gives you the poop deposit. THEN praise mightily and give treats.

I think there's a high probability that by now, he thinks pooping outside is a No-No while inside is a Yes-Yes. So you have to overcome that rut and reward the pooping outside.

With Puff, her poop times are --

--6:30 AM as we start our daily walk, about 30-90 seconds after getting out of the car;

-- 2 PM -- I bowl a softball on the sidewalk out front for her to chase and keep it up until we have a deposit made;

-- 10 PM, we walk on the sidewalk about 100 yards (30 m) until she poops
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748