Doggy Double Standard
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doggy Double Standard

DefaultDoggy Double Standard

I have a very case-specific problem and I have no idea how to handle it. It is tearing me up to see my puppy so sad.

I have a 2 year old chocolate lab who lived in the house with us for a year. When he reached 110 lbs, we had to keep him in the garage to sleep and we let him run free with the neighbour dogs during the day. One of our neighbours called animal control on our dog for wandering teh neighbourhood, so we have had to keep him tied up for teh last two months on a long chain. We just moved, and until the building of our new house is complete, my dog and I are staying at my Aunt's house for one month where they currently have a newly adopted dog. Their dog is kept in teh house except to play outside. He has been going out and playing with my dog and they have become good friends, but their dog gets to come in the house after and my lab needs to stay outside. He seems to not understand why this other dog can come in teh house, but he can't, so I let him in for an hour today and now all he wants to do is come in. He has resorted to whimpering and jumping up against glass doors and windows to try to get in. I have had to tie him up again so that he can't reach the doors. Please give me some ideas about how to train my dog that he is not allowed in the house even though the other dog is.

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Doggy Double Standard

Not sure why his weight would keep him from being a house pet (and what does your vet say about his weight? 110 lbs is a BIG dog..)

My solution would be to convince your aunt to allow the poor, lonely dog inside.

sarah is offline Senior Member

first question I would like to ask is: why did the size of your dog determine whether he is allowed inside or not? second question is: did you not realise that your chocolate lab would end up around that size when you got him? (although after converting your lbs into kg's I can see the point made by Kaytris about his weight - I meant that you surely knew that your lab is a large breed dog right?)

Modified to add: my solution would be to get a crate for your doggy and bring him inside. It's not fair that you make him stay out - it's also doubley not fair that for the first 2 years of his life you let him inside and then changed your mind.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We did know he would be large, however 110 lbs is BIG for a lab. The vet says he is healthy and not overwheight at all.

The only reason it affected his bing indoors was that he wreaked havoc on our house when he got so big. We never neglected him, he is our little prince, but in this new place, the other dog is the prince, and aside from me sleeping outside with his, I can't think of a way to make him feel loved. This is why I came here for help!

Quote Originally Posted by charatara
    We did know he would be large, however 110 lbs is BIG for a lab. The vet says he is healthy and not overwheight at all.

The only reason it affected his bing indoors was that he wreaked havoc on our house when he got so big. We never neglected him, he is our little prince, but in this new place, the other dog is the prince, and aside from me sleeping outside with his, I can't think of a way to make him feel loved. This is why I came here for help!
    Sounds to me like you have a large untrained lab who you now see as a nuisance in your home when he "wreaks havoc" it's fine to spoil your pet but did you do any obedience training with him?

*shakes head*

I've re-read my last post and I did not in anyway mean to come across nasty. If you are looking for help to stop your choccy lab "wreaking havoc" in your home then there are LOTS of posts on here that can help to fix the issues you might have, people on here can also recommend good training books for you to read as well. And if you have any training specific questions most people are very eager on here to assist you.

If you are only asking about how to make your dog "happy" when he's left outside chained up all the time, I unfortunately can't help with that unless you bring him inside where he belongs

regards
    Sarah

Lucky.N.Lucy Guest

Dogs are social animals, meaning that they are meant to live in a social unit, not a solitary life on the end of a chain.

My advice would be to sign up for an obedience class with your dog, and show your Aunt your commitment to helping your dog become a well behaved companion who does not wreak havoc when brought indoors. If your Aunt is not amenable to that, then I'd suggest finding somewhere else to stay, where your companion can be inside with you, where he belongs.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Is this for real?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

I don't think there is any way to train him to want to be outside by himself. Labs are very social and really need to be with their people. I suggest getting a crate and trying to keep him in the house again. If he was in there for a year it shouldn't be a tough transition. Crate him when your unable to watch him or gone so he can't destroy the house.

Our second lab came from about the same situation he was inside until he was about 5 months old then outside in a kennel for a year. Although they loved him and did play with him alot it's not the same he started barking and yelping all night long then during the day as well. Nothing they could do was going to stop him he needed to be with his people. It was someone we knew and we wanted another lab anyway so we offered to take him. He adjusted to being in the house again really easy only one mess and other than a few stuffed toys he's not really tore anything up either.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

That is incredibly cruel, if you ask me, to keep him tied up outside by himself. :'( Especially since he used to come in the house. I'd be pissed off too.

Please buy an extra large crate and keep him inside where he belongs. When you can't watch him, put him in the crate so he doesn't wreak havoc. Please.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast