Ear infection...

Thread: Ear infection...

DefaultEar infection...

Maggie has one. I check both our dogs ears daily and alas, today was the day. It looks terrible, and not to mention SMELLS terrible! :vomit: We are planning on taking her to the vet tomorrow first thing, but I was wondering if there are any home remedies to ear infections?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Ear infection...

Quote Originally Posted by map1986
    Maggie has one. I check both our dogs ears daily and alas, today was the day. It looks terrible, and not to mention SMELLS terrible! :vomit: We are planning on taking her to the vet tomorrow first thing, but I was wondering if there are any home remedies to ear infections?
    *UPDATE*

So the vet told me NOT to clean Maggie's ears out with alcohol as it dries the ear out and makes them itchier and not to mention more prone to ear infections. *sigh* I am a BAD mom!!! The teachers at Maggie's school said that we SHOULD use alcohol swabs to clean her ears out especially after swimming. I trusted that information coming from them, but I guess it wasn't correct. They gave us ear drops, cleaner, and antibiotics :'( I feel SOOO bad!

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Don't feel bad, you'll get a lot of contradicting "helpful hints" from many people. I found that the best way to clear ears is with a gentle solution I got from the vet. Saba had ear infections before and he still gets them in the winter when he "surfs" head first into the snow banks.
    Just make sure that after the ear infection is cured, you check her ears on average 2 -3 times a week, just a quick glance to see if they need to be cleaned.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

This is a little late, but for future reference I thought I'd add that the best thing for us has been The Purple Stuff: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html. Potter was prone to yeasty ears prior to us switching him to grain free and this worked amazingly every time!

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

We train in water almost every day, probably 5 days a week on average. Since we have been using either Purple Stuff or Malacetic Otic (whichever is on hand) when we pack up to come home from training, we have not had an ear infection in 2 years. Before purple stuff, we had 'em pretty regularly.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg