Louie's First 48 Hours at Home
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Louie's First 48 Hours at Home

DefaultLouie's First 48 Hours at Home

My husband and I got home from our honeymoon a week ago, and picked up our puppy two days ago. Louie is an 8-week old black lab. We absolutely adore him and have already made progress with him, but new issues seem to pop up all the time. Here are some issues we could use some advice on:

1. Our cat. Claudia is about 9 months old, and has ruled the roost here since we adopted her in November. She's a very loving, affectionate, and trusting cat, but she's definitely not that way with Louie. He wants to play with her and be best friends, but she's still very standoffish. What are some good ways to facilitate their relationship without alienating the cat?

2. Pooping. We are having a lot of success with peeing outside. We take him out at least once an hour, take him to his special spot, and praise him and give him a treat when he pees. He's definitely learning and enjoying the routine. Unfortunately, we haven't really had the same success with pooping. He has pooped twice in his crate and made a HUGE mess jumping around in it, and he has also pooped a few times on the kitchen floor. We caught him last night just a few minutes after he finished dinner. He squatted and started pooping and we ran over and took him outside. We must have scared him, because then he wouldn't poop outside. We took him to his spot, then went for a walk around the block, and then back to his spot. No luck. We set the alarm to take him out a few times over the night. He peed each time, but didn't poop. When my husband got up early this morning to take him out, he had pooped again! Help!!!

3. Biting. Louie is investigating everything with his mouth, including us. His bites aren't hard or malicious, but they're not appropriate behavior for an adult dog. We want to nip the habit in the bud so he doesn't think it's ok. Advice?

Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Louie's First 48 Hours at Home

Hi there!

I am also a new owner of 9 week black lab female. I've had her for 1 week now, first few days were exhausting, but we seem to have a routine and she is doing very well.

As far as the cat goes, i have a 3 yr old cat, she is very playful and such, but not to sure about the pup yet. she is very curious with her.... there has been hissing and growling and has swatted at Shelby a few times. I think in time they will get along, just like if you were to bring another cat into the home, it takes some adjusting.

With the pooping issues, Shelby has to go almost immediately after eating, the other day i thought it was safe for me to brush my teeth while she was eating, by the time i got done with that she already pooped. How much space in the crate, i put Shelby in a smaller crate after a few days, because she was pooping in the larger one. they like the smaller space. she has only had one accident since i changed her, but that was my fault, i was gone longer than expected, therefore she pooped.

that's my advice, but like i said i 'm new at this too, hopefully the others will respond too. Good luck! post a pic when you have a chance.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

congratulations and welcome..stick around and post some pics!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

Hi!

I forgot to mention the after meal poop to you on the phone the other day. We found with Otis that at first (until he was 6 months old or so) he pooped RIGHT after eating. Like, he finished his last kibble, we snapped his leash on him immediately and took him out to poop, which he did right away. Another thing you can do to facilitate the outside poop is to have some play with him outside when you know he's due for a poop. Movement always helps speed things along, so maybe take him out, have him run back and forth between you and R for a couple minutes, then take him to his spot and give him an opportunity to do his thing.

How many times a day is he getting fed?

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

We feed him once a day, around dinner time. We'd eventually like to time it so that we're all eating at the same time in order to avoid begging opportunities. Obviously we learned last night that we should eat first and then feed him. Our rice and beans got cold and gummy when we had to jump up from the table to take him out!

We jumped into crate training too quickly on the first night with disastrous results (yelping all night and spreading poop all over the crate). We slowed down and he's taking to it now. He became attached to a blanket (sorry Aunt Jeanne, it's your homemade quilt), so I moved it into the crate and left the door open. With no other comfortable place to sleep in the kitchen, he soon made his way over to the crate for a nap. Since then he's taken several naps in the crate. Last night we left him in the kitchen with the crate open, and he chose to sleep in it. Today we left the house for an hour and kept him in the crate with the door closed. He didn't mind! Tonight we are going to try the door closed.

I can't figure out how to post pictures. Help!

Oh, one more question. How many treats can he have over the course of the day? We were giving him a small puppy biscuit every time he peed outside, but then he had a poop blowout in the middle of the day. Now we're just using one or two pieces of Puppy Chow as a reward. With that in mind, how much food should he have in the evening?

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

He's a little young to be eating only once a day, and I bet that's where your night-time poopalanches are coming from. I would break up his rations into 3 servings - breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We still feed Otis twice a day rather than just one large meal.

As for the amount of food he gets, it depends on what you're feeding him, how big you expect him to get eventually, and what the breeder recommends. And for treats, it really depends on what your philosophy on treat giving is. At this point in his life, a few (only a few) extra calories won't hurt him. Generally for everyday treat giving we just give Otis a few pieces of his kibble, which we withhold from his meal. So no extra calories, it just feels like it to him. On days when we're trying to teach a new trick, or working on an old behavior that he's gotten rusty on, we use Science Diet jerky treats. They're easy to break up into little, little pieces so he feels like he's getting a lot of treats even though he's really only getting one.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

oh. Good to know!

We are feeding him Purina Puppy Chow. I have a feeling he's going to be pretty big. And...his breeder did not advise us as to how much to give him. They only told us Purina Beneful seems to reduce dog odor. So, what do you think? How much for each mini-meal?

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Good luck with the new puppy. We have 2 here as well.

First thing, as already mentioned. A pup should be on a 3 meal a day plan. They have tiny tummies so they need to eat frequently. They will poop more often but it can be planned a bit more. 1/2 c a meal is a good place to start, mine are up to 1 cup a meal at 12 weeks now.

Purina Puppy Chow or Beneful are not the best foods. Lots of fillers. Could also be contributing to the poo problem. Spend some time in the food forum and you'll pick up some suggestions of better quality food to feed your pup.

And the award for Making it Through the Night Without Any Accidents goes to.......

LOUIE!!!

The award for Getting Up Every Two Hours to Take Louie Out goes to....Kathleen and Ray!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast