Eating leaves

Thread: Eating leaves

DefaultEating leaves

I was wondering if anyone knew how to get a lab to stop eating leaves or whatever else they can find in the grass... My one year old lab LOVES to go in the backyard to run around and play with her toys.. but after about 10 mins she just starts grabbing ANYTHING she can find and she swallows it before I can get it out of her mouth.. I try to pick up as much as I can but since there are 3 HUGE trees right behind our house, they always blow onto our lawn.. We have tried the "drop it" command but she is just too quick.. She has made it into a game to try to drive me crazy.. And it is working.. Is their any reason why she would do this?? When she goes outside to pee she doesn't bother with anything.. it is just when she is playing in the backyard... I'm just afraid she is gonna eat something that will make her sick.. or cause a blockage (there are stones instead of grass at my parent's shore house and we want to bring her there in the summer) Anyone else have this problem?? Or know how to stop it??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Eating leaves

While you do need to watch for big things that the pup could choke on, leaves and little twigs and dirt won't hurt the pup. It HAS become a big game. My boy used to go in the yard and steal my flip flops to start a game of chase.

My current pups are quickly losing interest in yard debris. I usually just walk by and take it away instead of chasing them for it.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

It's a game she's taught you to play with her.

Plus Labs like to munch on fresh new grass.

http://www.wisegeek.com/why-do-dogs-eat-grass.htm
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

thanks for the responses.. she has been SLIGHTLY better lately.. she has been spitting most of the leaves out.. and listens when my husband yells at her to stop.. im just hoping it all goes well when we take her to the shore.. rocks and stones EVERYWHERE Also they have no grass on their property.. only stones (only one or two houses in the area have grass) I hope she is willing to go potty there and not look for grass.. that could be a whole different problem.....