Puppy and young adult not playing?

Thread: Puppy and young adult not playing?

DefaultPuppy and young adult not playing?

Is it normal for one of the labs to be very snippish about a new puppy? Everytime Sam gets near Lucky she growls and sulks away. She either curls herself under a corner table against a wall or go into her soft-krate that's in the living room. Honestly this pouting has been going on for three days now. >.> She not quite 3 yet and he's ten weeks. I understand puppies can get annoying and such but I don't want her being snappish about it. Sam will get annoying puppy bouncy around Happy and jump on him while Happy is trying to sleep and Happy will either just look at him like "leave me alone" and lay back down or he will give a little growl and immediately Sam will leave him alone. Lucky growls and gives a bit of a snap and Sam will chase after her barking back.

Is there something I can do to help the transition easier on Lucky? Happy wasn't like this at all when we got Lucky and he was about the same age Lucky is now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Puppy and young adult not playing?

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGirl
    Is it normal for one of the labs to be very snippish about a new puppy? Everytime Sam gets near Lucky she growls and sulks away. She either curls herself under a corner table against a wall or go into her soft-krate that's in the living room. Honestly this pouting has been going on for three days now. >.> She not quite 3 yet and he's ten weeks. I understand puppies can get annoying and such but I don't want her being snappish about it. Sam will get annoying puppy bouncy around Happy and jump on him while Happy is trying to sleep and Happy will either just look at him like "leave me alone" and lay back down or he will give a little growl and immediately Sam will leave him alone. Lucky growls and gives a bit of a snap and Sam will chase after her barking back.

Is there something I can do to help the transition easier on Lucky? Happy wasn't like this at all when we got Lucky and he was about the same age Lucky is now.
    I think it is normal, my 6yr lab Jake was happy at first when i brought Link home (Link was scared of big Jake) but as soon as Jake realized Link was staying he wanted nothing to do with him and whenever some one would pet Link, Jake would try to get between them (and he still does). We tried to give equal attention to both dogs. It took at least a week for them both to get used to each other and start playing.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Was your older dog properly socialized with other dogs since he was a pup? If your dog is not used to "speaking" with other dogs he might actually not know how to properly relate to others. I ask you because an adult that doesn´t want a pup around usually growls and "throws" a bite to him (rarely harm is done with this) but don´t go hide in a corner. A dog that hides in the corner sounds like he´s somewhat scared.

As long as real damage is not done you have to let them set the rules. If the older dog doesn´t want to be bothered he will let the pup know, but if you intervene that could actually end up backfiring and triggering a real attack.

Also consider that dogs growl and bite each other when they play, so they could actually be playing

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

doglover12 Guest

well i used to own a male cavalier king charles spaniel when i brought him home it took Einstein my golden retriever a week before he would play with him. Well when i swapped my cavalier king charles spaniel for my lab puppy Amber was a different story. As soon as Amber came into the yard Einstein wanted to play straight away, Amber was unsure at first took her about a day to start playing with him. Now they play all the time, Amber follows Einstein everywhere.

Some dogs take to others differently like you can have 2 other dogs around your dog and your dog loves 1 of them but dislikes the other. Lucky will accept the new puppy sometime could take 1,2 weeks sometimes even a month depends on the dog.

Dani is offline Senior Member

It's normal. Rider has been a wonderful foster brother to hundreds of rescue dogs and rarely get's pouty. But when Rookie came (who also came with his brother Bono for a week), he was like..WTF? He allowed them to crawl on him and he sniffed and was interested at first, but by the time Bono left and Rookie stayed, he got totally clingy to me and totally ignored Rookie, or would snap at him for sniffing his junk. Obviously he's gotten over it. They're best buds and wrestle all of the time. THere are still times when Rider just wants to chill and ROokie's ready to go, but it works out. Let your dog work it out....it has NOTHING to do with socialization as a young dog. It's normal.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Thanks for all the replies guys! Took me forever to get to read them since i had been sick. I don't know if Happy (my oldest) was socialized as a younger dog or not. He was a severely abused dog before I got him from the rescue. He has always been loving and friendly and a great 'daddy' dog with puppies. Adult dogs...no. He wants nothing to do with them and will actually run them away from the yard. Lucky was brought up with Happy and would occassionaly play with a neighborhood dog if one was loose. She developed severe anxiety in the last six months so I'm sure that was playing a part in her reaction to the puppy. They have actually been playing bitey face for about three days now. She has realized hey this guy likes to play and he will play the games I like!! Happy plays tug and for about all of five minutes then he's done. She will now actually go get a toy, drop it in front of the puppy and grab it when he goes to pick it up and run away wanting him to chase her. She gets a little snippish when he's bouncing around when she wants to sleep but I know it's just her saying "back off I wanna sleep now psycho" I'm really glad they are all getting along now!! He actually sneaks into her crate before she does so he can lay down with her at night. She peaks in and looks like "WTF that's mine!" Last night she let him have the crate and she slept on the huge dog bed pillow Happy was on next to him and the crate.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Great

Sounds like you´re on the way to having both dogs enjoying each others company.