Needing More Exercise

Thread: Needing More Exercise

DefaultNeeding More Exercise

I have a 9 week old puppy that needs more exercise but every time I try to walk her she just wants to go back in the house to play. I take her out in the morning to use the bathroom and after she is done she heads right back toward the house. If I try to walk her on the lease around the block she sits down and does not want to go any further. Once we get back in the house she has TONS of energy and wants to play/chew everything. I need to get her to exercise more to tire her out but I am not sure how to get her to walk? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Needing More Exercise

You should not be taking your puppy for walks until she has completed all her vaccinations. Playing in the backyard is all the exercise she needs at 9 weeks of age.

I agree we only played out back in the yard with Denali till he had most of his vaccinations then we would just do sort walks down the side walk to the neighbors and at first he was scared and didn't want to go but we brought a ball and some treats and just made it fun for him and now he loves going for walks and he is 4months old.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you all for the advice; however, unfortunately we live in a townhouse currently so we don't have the luxury of a backyard. In order to get my puppy some exercise I have to take her out on a leash around our townhouse. I am trying to burn some of her energy so I am wondering if any one has any suggestions on how to do this with the location we live in. Thanks!

Not and expert on this but I know when we got Denali at this age it didnt take much to drain him in side but we do live in a open floor plan home so we were able to toss his toys around and play hide n seek inside.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by abbers12
    Thank you all for the advice; however, unfortunately we live in a townhouse currently so we don't have the luxury of a backyard. In order to get my puppy some exercise I have to take her out on a leash around our townhouse. I am trying to burn some of her energy so I am wondering if any one has any suggestions on how to do this with the location we live in. Thanks!
    Is there a common area? AFTER VAX's, I'd carry the pup to the common area and allow him/her to just romp there for a couple of minutes. Then carry home. A 9 wk pup shouldn't be force-walked on a leash.