snappy puppy update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: snappy puppy update

Defaultsnappy puppy update

It's Leonidas's mom again... sigh...after a few weeks of training Leo is STILL really snappy. What's worse is that at times he even growls, usually to get my attention when I stop playing (because of the biting). We have been using the stopping play and walk away method which is the only thing that at least gets him to stop. I have tried other suggestions and he just gets even worse like he's mad or thinks I am just continuitng playing...any insights here? I got a suggestion to introduce a spray bottle but I want to avoid negative reinforcement if at all possible. The "gentle" command has been working well for giving treats without him lunging and biting but the play biting is just impossible and I am afraid it will get out of hand as he get's bigger....any insights? He really doesn't have any other behavior problems, he is great otherwise but I just can't tolerate biting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: snappy puppy update

Sounds like your doing alot of good things! How old is he, sorry if you mentioned this before. Have you tried obedience classes. Exercise, exercise, exercise! Plus time, he will get better I promise! We also taught Sammi the "done" command with a hand signal, we still use it when she isn't done playing and we are ! Good luck, Di

sarah is offline Senior Member

I would continue to do what works. Sometimes these things take awhile to fix. Did you try playing with him on a lead tied to something and walking away and turning your back just far enough so he can't reach you like Kaytris advised you in a different post? It may help get your desired results quicker.

But please don't give up on him, he doesn't understand it's wrong. It takes patience, time and consistency and with those combined he will improve!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Are you changing the tone of your voice when you are disciplining him?. Dogs always react better if you use a firm deep voice when you are trying to reinforce a command. EG: Don't say sit or sit?, say SIT!.

I was talking to my neighbour over the fence only today. Her Rottie was digging up the garden. Pat called out, Jada, come here. The dog looked at her & carried on digging. She called her again. Same result. I yelled out in my deepest voice - HEY YOU!, GET OVER HERE RIGHT NOW!.The dog came over & using the same voice, I yelled out SIT!. Guess what?. she did. I turned to Pat & said, see? that's how you do it. Why don't you learn to control your bloody dog?.

The point is, if you use the same tone of voice for do you want to go walkies? & do you want your dinner? for anything serious like SIT! STAY!, the dog will have a problem distinguishing when you're being serious. Try it. :educated:

Here is some more info:

He is 11.5 weeks old. We have had him about a month. He gets about 2 short walks a day plus lots of playtime, trips to the park, ect. We work on commands a few minutes everyday. He is also in puppy obedience class and he has picked up the commands pretty well, except for NO BITE of course. When I give him a command I do do it in a firm deep voice. It gets him to stop initially but then he just snaps again. It is worse when he is hyper and really wants attention which it seems he has a 20 minute "puppy tear" everyday no matter how much activity/exercise he has. I give him lots of affection and praise when he is behaving himself. I guess I am just being impatient since he is still so young...I just really don't want to have to deal with this when he is older too, he is a big boy and it already hurts when he bites. I guess we will keep trucking and hope it gets better...will he grow out of it eventually?

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by turnipgirl
    Here is some more info:

He is 11.5 weeks old. We have had him about a month. He gets about 2 short walks a day plus lots of playtime, trips to the park, ect. We work on commands a few minutes everyday. He is also in puppy obedience class and he has picked up the commands pretty well, except for NO BITE of course. When I give him a command I do do it in a firm deep voice. It gets him to stop initially but then he just snaps again. It is worse when he is hyper and really wants attention which it seems he has a 20 minute "puppy tear" everyday no matter how much activity/exercise he has. I give him lots of affection and praise when he is behaving himself. I guess I am just being impatient since he is still so young...I just really don't want to have to deal with this when he is older too, he is a big boy and it already hurts when he bites. I guess we will keep trucking and hope it gets better...will he grow out of it eventually?
    11.5 wks. I say you have about ohhh a "few months" to go!! Consistency and Patience, will be your best friend!

Have you tried teaching "kisses" We did this with our yorkie since he was really nippy. We just used a little peanut butter and put it on your hand or arm. When he goes to lick it off praise "good kisses" The idea is that if you can get them to give kisses regularly you can redirect the biting to giving kisses.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Have patience! Our experience was that 11-13 weeks was the worst. We thought it would never end. Just continue to separate him when he's wound up, get very still when he bites, and try a soft, low, growly tone of voice combined with direct eye contact. It sounds like you are good at being aware of what makes it better/worse, and that's the most important thing.

It *will* get better! Take heart.

It's Leonidas's mom again... sigh...after a few weeks of training Leo is STILL really snappy. What's worse is that at times he even growls, usually to get my attention when I stop playing (because of the biting). We have been using the stopping play and walk away method which is the only thing that at least gets him to stop. I have tried other suggestions and he just gets even worse like he's mad or thinks I am just continuitng playing...any insights here? I got a suggestion to introduce a spray bottle but I want to avoid negative reinforcement if at all possible. The "gentle" command has been working well for giving treats without him lunging and biting but the play biting is just impossible and I am afraid it will get out of hand as he get's bigger....any insights? He really doesn't have any other behavior problems, he is great otherwise but I just can't tolerate biting.
    Turnipgirl, you are not alone!!

Hang in there, it will get better. I am no expert but I can share with you my experience with Dexter our black lab who is the first puppy we have owned. He has just turned six months and has been a labrogator from day one!! The main thing I have learned is consistancy and repetition in which ever method you choose to correct. I am pleased to say that Dexter is finally getting slightly better, giving us more kisses than bites. It has definitely been a learning curve and a lot of hard work.

Repetition......repetition....repetition..... :tired:

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave121
    Turnipgirl, you are not alone!!

Hang in there, it will get better. I am no expert but I can share with you my experience with Dexter our black lab who is the first puppy we have owned. He has just turned six months and has been a labrogator from day one!! The main thing I have learned is consistancy and repetition in which ever method you choose to correct. I am pleased to say that Dexter is finally getting slightly better, giving us more kisses than bites. It has definitely been a learning curve and a lot of hard work.

Repetition......repetition....repetition..... :tired:

Dave - what method's did you use to stop the biting? maybe your method might help Turnipgirl if it's different from what she's currently doing.

cheers
    Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast