Grooming help

Thread: Grooming help

DefaultGrooming help

We have a darling 13 week old chocolate lab and I need some help in grooming her. She is so good with everything except for letting me brush her. I started the brushing when we got her - however the process hasn't gotten any easier. My hands are a mess - she bites me and the brush and it is hard bites. She is shedding now and I really need to brush her, but I just can't get her to settle down to business. Any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Grooming help

What type of brush are you using? Mocha didn't like to be brushed with a regular brush or shedding blade but she loves being brushed with her Zoom Groom. It feels more like a massage to them and it does a great job of getting the loose hair out.
    I would also try to teach her to stand and stay or at least sit and stay while you are petting her. Start out without the brush or anything just petting her once she's good with that start with the brush. This will be good exercise for letting other people or you pet her while she's sitting nicley too.

brody is offline Senior Member

it'll take awhile and some dogs never LOVE being groomed but can appreciate it

start when pup is TIRED - or even asleep

use the back of the brush at first or a grooming mitt

do one stroke - reward
    MAYBE
    do two strokes- reward

and PUT BRUSH away - it will have gone well and you'll be tempted to do more- DON'T

the next time she is tired/asleep repeat above - DO NOT go for great duration (length of training) go for quality

you can repeat this as many times a day as you want but make each step VERY short -do this for 2-4 days
    she shouldn't have time to even start thinking of biting at you

you then need to decide on WHICH criteria to raise (do more of)

you can either turn the brush over for ONE stroke in each session

or add more strokes (1-2 at a time)

once that is going well add the other criteria SLOWLY

it will take awhile especially as you haven't done it before BUT it really is worth doing right - tiny little rewards are fine ..(smaller then your little finger nailbed) or even using parts of her meals is fine too

it takes WORK to help a dog through issues- obviously she has gotten off to a bad start

hang in there and don't forget the time you invest in fixing this now will benefit you both forever!
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We do Denali when he is relaxed and we use the love glove I think its called, a glove that you wear, so it feels like we are patting him, He doesn't seem to mind until he noticed the glove then wants to bite that until we distract him with a toy.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My Puff HATES being brushed but tolerates the Zoom Groom

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Groom-For.../dp/B0002Y1RCE

Also, it'll be better after puppy teeth season is over. Until then, I suggest wearing a leather work glove.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks all for your friendly assistance. I have ordered the Zoom Groom so we will see how that goes. Again, thank you.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo used to do that! I swear he thought the zoom groom was just another one of his toys. :whatever:

I just put a collar on him and held him in place and went to town with it, verbally praising him when he was still. That seemed to help for us, and now he tolerates grooming just fine.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!