Marlan & Behaviour @ Agility

Thread: Marlan & Behaviour @ Agility

DefaultMarlan & Behaviour @ Agility

Marlan is awesome at Agility. He's better at it than I am, hence he gets bored easily because I am learning steps, etc. Sometimes, he thinks it's a great idea to book off and run through the other side of the barn where the advanced class is running their dogs. It's annoying, embarrassing, and overall not cool. How can I keep him occupied/in line while we learn? Do you think he's not interested and would rather not participate in Agility anymore?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Marlan & Behaviour @ Agility

keep him on leash when it's not his turn or crate him and keep him engaged

Sally thinks I am TORTURING her when she can see equipment and not be on it

so we work on leave it, go to place (mat), hand touches, spins, touch plate, puppy push ups - gentle take and leave it - anything that keeps her mind engaged and her mouth shut!

I suspect he enjoys it but gets disengaged while he waits for his turn
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

debjen is offline Senior Member

It has taken a year for me to convince Robbie me and agility are more interesting than the horse poop outside the arena..LOL...but we would often lose our turn because I had to go chase him down..argggghhhhh.....so constant attention games but if I had to be doing something else or was working on something without my dog he was crated.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the tips!! Tonight whenever we were waiting, I practiced obedience stuff (sit-stay, puppy push-ups, front, side, come, etc.) and did a few weaves with Marlan. He was MUCH better and when it was our turn, he was totally focused and performed awesome!

brody is offline Senior Member

hey what are pals for?

glad it worked for you too
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller