Leash aggressive
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leash aggressive

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

DefaultLeash aggressive

I´m worried about Misha´s behaviour on the leash lately. She´s becoming aggressive towards other dogs when she´s on the leash.

It all started some months ago with a german shepard that´s always off leash always barking at us. When Misha was younger she ignored her but recently she began barking back and launching when we cross roads. I socialized her extensively since a very young age and she gets along very well with Homer and with my friends´dogs (all females except Homer). I can understand her responding like that to the attack of the shepard but now she´s launching towards other dogs when she´s leashed, even if they don´t provoke her (it doesn´t happen with friendly dogs but with more dominant dogs - you know the postures)

I always correct her immediately, but I´m concerned that the corrections might actually backfire... anyone has any experience on how to correct her in this case?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Leash aggressive

I went through this with my one lab. She was fine when off leash but on leash we had problems. I went to a trainer and the first thing she said it's not "aggrsesion" but reaction. I would tense up on the lease and be tense myself if I saw another dog in the vicinity. So then my lab would react to me. What my trainer said to do is have lots of really special treats and as soon as another dog is in the area and my dog saw it start giving her the treats and just keep giving them. If the other dog moved away then stop. Repeat this if the dog is in the area again. Have your dog think that another dog in the area is a good thing because they will get treats and positive feedback.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackandyellow
    I´m worried about Misha´s behaviour on the leash lately. She´s becoming aggressive towards other dogs when she´s on the leash.

It all started some months ago with a german shepard that´s always off leash always barking at us. When Misha was younger she ignored her but recently she began barking back and launching when we cross roads. I socialized her extensively since a very young age and she gets along very well with Homer and with my friends´dogs (all females except Homer). I can understand her responding like that to the attack of the shepard but now she´s launching towards other dogs when she´s leashed, even if they don´t provoke her (it doesn´t happen with friendly dogs but with more dominant dogs - you know the postures)

I always correct her immediately, but I´m concerned that the corrections might actually backfire... anyone has any experience on how to correct her in this case?
    I am going through this with alfie, he was attacked while on lead and now he growls and lunges on lead. The only thing im finding that is working is watch me command with treat in my hand, it distracts him. Also keep calm, dont tense up, keep the lead slack. Alfie is fine with other dogs off lead though but he does try it on when he is off lead and they are on.

Also when dogs come over to him and are off lead i have to shout to their owners he is lead agressive and 9 times out of 10 they quickly get their dogs if not i stand between him and the dog

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

I had exactly the same experience, last sunday on the mountains she was attacked by another dog, they were both off leash and the other dog just launched towards her without any warning (I knew it was going to get nasty as soon as I saw the dog coming - its attitude and body postures) and Misha fought back. I separated the dogs immediately with my moutain bike and Misha only had a minor scratch on her neck.

The problem is that after this incident we crossed roads with another dog that was leashed and very gentle, I was holding Misha by her collar and she reacted very aggressive towards this poor guy. I understand her defending herself from an attack but its a totally different story becoming a bully, that is totally unnacceptable

I´ll try the food and try to control her without pulling back, since I´ve heard this actually increases the behavior

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackandyellow
    Thanks

I had exactly the same experience, last sunday on the mountains she was attacked by another dog, they were both off leash and the other dog just launched towards her without any warning (I knew it was going to get nasty as soon as I saw the dog coming - its attitude and body postures) and Misha fought back. I separated the dogs immediately with my moutain bike and Misha only had a minor scratch on her neck.

The problem is that after this incident we crossed roads with another dog that was leashed and very gentle, I was holding Misha by her collar and she reacted very aggressive towards this poor guy. I understand her defending herself from an attack but its a totally different story becoming a bully, that is totally unnacceptable

I´ll try the food and try to control her without pulling back, since I´ve heard this actually increases the behavior

So sad isnt it how one incident of irrespensible ownership can turn your dog and make it have a behavioural problem...i just hope you can crack Misha of it and i hope alfie grows out of it too

Today I´ll be talking to Homer´s trainer to see how to handle this. Yesterday during our evening walk a small scotish terrier came to say hi and Misha was very rude, she launched towards him and the little guy ran away. I had her on a leash so nothing happened

Today we crossed roads with another female lab (she was unleashed). Mishas hackless got up immediately but i asked her to sit and wait. Fortunately the other dog passed by and ignored us.

I´m definitely not enjoying our walks anymore...

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Today I´ll be talking to Homer´s trainer to see how to handle this. Yesterday during our evening walk a small scotish terrier came to say hi and Misha was very rude, she launched towards him and the little guy ran away. I had her on a leash so nothing happened

Today we crossed roads with another female lab (she was unleashed). Mishas hackless got up immediately but i asked her to sit and wait. Fortunately the other dog passed by and ignored us.

I´m definitely not enjoying our walks anymore...
    See:

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html

Very interesting article trickster thanks.

I´ll be going through some training sessions one on one with the trainers dogs. I´m aware that I´m actually part of the problem, but the funny thing is that the trainer told me that I probably overprotect my dogs and that makes them feel "stronger" and hence Misha feels like she can challenge other dogs, because she knows I´ll step in. When she´s off leash she´s on her "own" and that´s why she handles the situation better, often ignoring the stranger dog after a couple of sniffs.

Both my dogs have been tought by older dogs to leave them alone and I don´t intervene in those cases. The attack last week didn´t even have any interaction as the other dog just ran straight to Misha and attacked (this dog had a thick chain around his neck so the poor guy is probably chained all the time - I don´t blame him, I blame his owner for doing nothing when he perfectly knew his dog was going to attack.

I just don´t want my dogs to be the rude ones, if they are provoked by a molester I definitely don´t punish them and do help them get rid of the other dog.

justine is offline Senior Member

I know that my dogs are still kind of crazy on walks (they are about 1yr old) I use prong collars when I take them on walks and I've got them trained on leave it, so when we encounter other dogs and they try to go after them or the other dog tries to go after my two, I tell them to leave it, maybe give them a snack as we walk by and if needed, pull their leashes in tighter next to me.

We've been attacked my dogs that have broken off their leashes many times.. :no: kind of scary for me, especially when they are hauling butt towards us, growling! But I think they are still pretty good when it comes to other dogs on walks. I think it depends on the dog, though!

Good luck!

I had never heard of this until recently. My two girls seem to have this same problem. They were "mugged" by a pitt bull and since then I have CUJO!. Not fun on a walk. Treats and trying to get them to look at me, happy voice, none of that stuff works, for me. Get too close to another dog and all bets are off! Lunging, barking and squealing starts.I have tried all the collars..choke,prong,gentle leader. None worked. I just got a "Halti", not the same as the gentle leader. It works. You have control of their head.The best feature is a strap that closes their mouth when you pull up. This stops the barking and lunging that way the intensity level can be controlled. With practice I can get quite close to other dogs without lead correction. It's worth a try for you. It,s what I like to call "POWER STEARING"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast