Pooping in the crate

Thread: Pooping in the crate

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

DefaultPooping in the crate

My friend has a 10.5 week yellow lab. He’s crated when they are not home. His schedule is basically this: Her hubby lets him out at 5 am and he’s pretty much out of his crate from 5 am to 8 am when my friend leaves for work. We then come to her house at noon to let him out for about 40 mins, and then she’s back at home around 3:30 – 4 pm. He’s been doing well lately and was adhering to the schedule, doing his pee and poop when we let him out at lunch. But yesterday and today when we got to her house at lunch time, he’s pooped in his crate. My friend is very frustrated, which is understandable, but he’s still a baby as I say and even though he might go for a few days/a week on schedule, he will have accidents. I think he won’t be fully trained not to go in his crate until what... 4 months? Considering he’s not in the crate for more than 4 hours at any time, should he be able to hold it? The crate has a divider and is small – according to his size etc. Can someone remind me what puppies are like... Saba is 2.5 yrs old and I’ve never had those issues with him. How long will it take for him not to go in his crate? What are some of the reasons that he might be doing this?
    Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Pooping in the crate

In my opinion, asking a 10 week old baby to hold it for 4 hours is too long. Can they not get someone to look after him and therefore let him out during the day? one break at noon is probably not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    In my opinion, asking a 10 week old baby to hold it for 4 hours is too long. Can they not get someone to look after him and therefore let him out during the day? one break at noon is probably not enough.
    Agreed. It is only fair to ask a puppy to hold its bladder an hour longer than its age in months. So if this puppy is 2 months old it can only be expected to hold it for a maximum of 3 hours. They also need to be cleaning it up with something like Nature's Miracle so he won't think he is supposed to go.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Check to see how much she is feeding him and at what time. I think overfeeding often contributes to crate pooping. Good luck!

Odie was pooping in his crate almost every day for two weeks when I first got him. Part of it was because he had diahrea from antibiotics he was on. I use wire cages as opposed to the plastic kennels. One thing that really helped with the pooping in the crate was putting a blanket over the crate, and the devider. It made the space seem smaller. It's just a guess but I think Odie saw all the space around him, and didn't realize that he was confined until it was too late. So if you haven't already try draping something like a blanket or towel over the crate. Don't cover the door of the crate. The dog should still be able to see out of one side. This helped a lot for me.

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Thanks guys, I'll pass it on!

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I agree with that. In regards to the 4 month old thing too. My Ivy is 4 months and two weeks old and she still has occasional accidents in her crate. The longest she is ever in there is 2-3 hours max, still. Every dog is different though. How are they feeding the puppy? I found with my dogs if I split their meals up into three smaller meals a day, it seems to be easier for them to hold a #2 a little longer...just a theory but it has worked for me!

justine is offline Senior Member

Do you know if they feed him at 5am or if they feed more towards 8am? I think if they fed him right at 5am, maybe played with him and took him for a walk and gave him some time outside before they left, that might help offset the pooping in the crate. I know with Abbey when she was a pup, she pooped like 30-45 minutes after she ate, but I took her out every 30 minutes or so to see if she had to pee or poop.. Eventually she got it