A word of advice for people looking for a new puppy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A word of advice for people looking for a new puppy

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultA word of advice for people looking for a new puppy

My family was a little shocked at the price I paid for my Lab I have had a few non dog people say to me you could have got one out of the paper or on line for hundreds less…well here is why.

That extra few hundred dollars got me a folder with 3 generations of health clearances. A health guarantee from the breeder and all the pups’ first shots up to date on the day I picked him up, a life time of support form a 20 year + breeder and a return guarantee if I was ever to need it.

My sister in law recently bought a Boxer from some place she found on line cheep. The pup was shipped to her on a plane, he had not had any of his shots, he had kennel cough, and he’s smaller than he should be for his age no paperwork on any health items. Never even saw a vet.

He also had a few other issues happen that are yet to be explained they still watching him and revisiting the vet.

Even at this point she has already surpassed me in what I paid for my dog and she is still having to go back to the vet for rechecks and I haven’t even mentioned the emotional drain this is causing for her family. Where I am sitting smiling watching Autumn run around and play, she has to take notice of anything strange her puppy does so if necessary she can call her vet.

The lesson learned here is do your research on your potential breeder! Ask for references, ask for all paperwork and if there is none walk. Don’t be fooled by the bargain price of pups on line or in the news paper, if the price is that low it usually means that the “breeders” are trying to get rid of the pups quick. The reason a good breeders prices are usually high is because of all the work, checks clearances a responsible breeder has to do like any business they pass it off to the customer. But also beware many poor breeders also will charge high prices and not do the necessary checks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A word of advice for people looking for a new puppy

Amen!!! I get so tired of people that say "Why so much?". If only they saw the amount of $ and effort that goes into a breeding program.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

thank you for posting this! I usually don't tell people how much I paid for Leonidas because of the comments. But I know exactly where he came from, how he was taken care of, checked by a vet, up to date on shots. I even know what he ate and at what times up until i took him home. What a blessing, he is a joy, we have had no problems and I don't have to worry about any issues from past owners or genetic stuff that a puppy mill didn't bother to screen for. Better for the pup and better for our family.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Another important consideration is why you want to save $$ on the dog when as an owner we all spend 100 times (or more) what we paid for them during their lives. A dog from a reputable breeder could end up saving you vet bills because they come from a breeeding program where genetic deseases are checked for and eliminated from the gene pool if they appear.

And in my personal opinion show lines (it doesn´t matter if the dog is pet or show dog - still is show line) are more beautiful dogs with better temperaments

sarah is offline Senior Member

People say the same thing with Milly when they ask how much we paid for her. I used to try to explain everything you mentioned in your post fburke but the sad truth is that so many people are igorant about the real issues. Hence why puppy mills and BYB are still in business!

But when they comment on how smart, pretty, placid, cute etc she is and ask me how we did it with her and so quickly as well; I just shake my head at them and smile! In Australia, we call these people Drongo's!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sarahnye
    People say the same thing with Milly when they ask how much we paid for her. I used to try to explain everything you mentioned in your post fburke but the sad truth is that so many people are igorant about the real issues. Hence why puppy mills and BYB are still in business!

But when they comment on how smart, pretty, placid, cute etc she is and ask me how we did it with her and so quickly as well; I just shake my head at them and smile! In Australia, we call these people Drongo's!
    You ought to be a breeder who has to deal w/ the constant influx of queries for CHOCOLATE FEMALES. They provide no other details, not how active is your family (or do they have a family), do you want a hunting companion, a couch potato, etc.

I've often thought of asking, oh, if you don't mind if it's aggressive (afterall, the color and sex is SO CRITICAL), untrainable, destructable, hyper or crippled or blind by 3 there are plenty of other litters out there! I have so much educational info on my website but for so many, they just think the pups all come out of a mold and they are all the same personality, etc.. And then try to explain that you are doing the breeding for yourself, and that you have other competition homes waiting too, and selection won't be made until the 7th week because then we'll finally know more about temperment and structure and eye exams, etc... so how can I promise a pup to someone who ONLY wants a CF and nothing else??? Thankfully when some families have visited, my blacks make a good enough impression on them that they'll become more flexible... but it's not happening enough. This trophy pup mentality is really hurting our breed as it encourages unscrupulous folks to breed for color, not the whole package.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Great advice.

I could have spent out $$$ from a reputable breeder but I am glad that I made the decision to adopt from a local labrador rescue. My adoption money went toward helping other labs. I may buy a "pedigree" pooch in the future but for now I have saved a life and that is more important to me. (Dexter had been dumped at a high kill shelter along with his 9 brothers, sisters and his mother).

Ok, first things first. I'm not going to bash anybody that pays $600+ for a puppy. Yes you get all the things mentioned above, but the simple truth is this.

Dogs are living breathing things just like us, and no matter how well they are bred, anything can happen as far as health issues. You could buy a puppy from the best breeder with the best credentials and have serious problems and huge vet bills. Just like you could pick up a pup from the humane society or a puppy mill and have the same problems.

On the other hand you could pick up a puppy from the humane society or a puppy mill and have no problems and the dog could be the best behaved, healthiest dog you've ever had.

All I'm trying to say, is that paying insane amounts of money for a dog isn't always a good investment. No matter where you get your dog from, or how much you pay, your still gambling. No matter how good the intentions of the breeder, the dog could still have problems and still get sick.

As a kid (back in 1986), my parents picked up a pup for $50 and it was the best dog ever. Never had any problems, and he lived to be 15 years old.

Just sayin....

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scoper50
    Ok, first things first. I'm not going to bash anybody that pays $600+ for a puppy. Yes you get all the things mentioned above, but the simple truth is this.

Dogs are living breathing things just like us, and no matter how well they are bred, anything can happen as far as health issues. You could buy a puppy from the best breeder with the best credentials and have serious problems and huge vet bills. Just like you could pick up a pup from the humane society or a puppy mill and have the same problems.

On the other hand you could pick up a puppy from the humane society or a puppy mill and have no problems and the dog could be the best behaved, healthiest dog you've ever had.

All I'm trying to say, is that paying insane amounts of money for a dog isn't always a good investment. No matter where you get your dog from, or how much you pay, your still gambling. No matter how good the intentions of the breeder, the dog could still have problems and still get sick.

As a kid (back in 1986), my parents picked up a pup for $50 and it was the best dog ever. Never had any problems, and he lived to be 15 years old.

Just sayin....
    Scoper - you are correct but the main thing I think here is that by purchasing from a reputable breeder who is breeding with dogs that tick all the boxes you are more likely to succeed in getting a puppy that ALSO ticks all the boxes for temperament, health etc... The theory isn't foolproof - but when is anything foolproof?
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Gene Guest

Good post and good advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast