Building a kennel run ...advice?

Thread: Building a kennel run ...advice?

DefaultBuilding a kennel run ...advice?

Hi again!

Not sure if this is where I should post this...

We are building a 6 x 20 foot enclosed run (not including the doghouse) out of chainlink. It will be 6 feet high and my husband is also building a roof. Any advice on what to put on the ground? I've heard cleaned limestone is an option. What have others done? Our yard is HUGE and we can't fence the whole thing in. BTW, it is impossible to find an insulated doghouse around here! I guess we will be building one...

We have some time to build it properly as we don't pick up our girl until the end of June.
    Any tips or links/ photos about this would be great!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Building a kennel run ...advice?

just curious, is your dog going to be a strictly outdoors dog, and if so, why?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Not at all!

We just need a safe place to put her when she goes out. She'll be with us 99% of the time. I am a full time stay at home mom. I also run a business part time from home.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Others will probally disagree. Our dogs have always had a concrete slab under their kennel. Make the finish smooth. After it was laid and cured out, we used a pump up utility sprayer and coated with concrete/ masonary sealer for kennel hygiene. We let each coat dry well and reapplied with additional coats. When satisfied, we set our kennel on top. We keep it clean mostly with a garden hose. Every now and then, we will pull out the igloo dog house and power wash and re-seal. Our dogs have always been mostly house dogs, but there are the times when they need to be outside and you can't be with them. Our kennel is 6'H x 10'W x 20'L. It's a great run and allows our dogs room to move and in gereral they have become used to do their business in one corner away from the dog house. If you go this route, make sure to pitch the slab for urine/rain / was down run off. Not much pitch is needed. Just enough not to have standing liquid. Our last lab spent her days out there while we worked and any other time with us in the house. It works for us. We learned pretty fast that an unsupervised lab in the house can be both dangerous for the dog and expensive for the dog owner. Hope this helps some. Good luck with the new pup!