New here...advice on crate sizing...will be getting two

Thread: New here...advice on crate sizing...will be getting two

DefaultNew here...advice on crate sizing...will be getting two

Hi everyone,

I new here as of today (posted in intro's) and have a question about crates. We are bring home our (bench) female pup home at about the 3rd week in June. We are going with plastic crates and want to get two. One "starter size" that will last her the summer until the beginning of September (so we can travel safely back and forth to our cottage at the lake, etc training) and then a full size one that will last her permanently.

I bought a medium size yesterday on sale which is a petporter 2 (28 x 20.5 x 21.5) . I kept the bill, but would this last until she is about 4 months old? Mom is 60-65 pounds and 22 inches...Dad is 75 pounds and 23 inches.

I read somewhere that the 36Lx25Wx27H is a good full size crate. Any experienced thoughts on that?

Thanks so much for any advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: New here...advice on crate sizing...will be getting two

We have wire crates which I like because they come with a divider and are easy to fold up to move since a plastic one didn't fit in my car when she was little. We have a 24x36" for Mocha and it works great for her she's pretty short and only about 65lbs.
    For Zeus we had to get a 30x42" crate because he's really tall and really had to duck to get into the 24x36.

My breeder suggested the largest or second to largest wire crate i believe its by Midwest life stages 42"long. it comes with the barrier so you can confine them and take out the barrier as they grow. although i never used the barrier. she only pee/poop in her crate like 6-7 times in the beginning. Another great thing to put on the floor of it is a bath mat, get 2. they are great when they soil in their crate as the rubber bottom soaks it up. and alll you need to do is throw in the washer. Works excellent and its soft for them!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I have a 42" "home" wire crate for Baloo, and a 36" fabric travel crate. I find that the 42" one fits him better, and he's not a large lab by any means. BUT, he likes to stretch out when he sleeps, and the 42" crate gives him enough room to do just that.

The 36" crate works perfectly for travel and short stays, but for Baloo it would be too small for his "home" crate that he spends more time in.

Oh, edited to add, I used the divider with Baloo when he was little, and he only had a few accidents in the crate, and only when his tummy was upset. I found the divider to be super helpful.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I have the same as Kate, a 42" at home, and a 36" one that travels with us.

Maybe someone with a pup around the same age as yours will post about size... it's been a long time since I've had a 4 month old!!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I really wouldn't waste your money on two crates. While it's a nice thought, you don't need to do it. We have three pups at the house right now from our litter. Each is being crate trained in their own crate. I had to buy 1 smaller one because we always went for the HUGE crates when we initially got our male. I bought a plastic kennel 36" and both my adult girls fit just fine in it. We also have a used 36" wire one, which the girls also fit into.

So for my 3 we are using the 36" wire, the 36" plastic, and a 42" canvas one. We didn't bother with a divider, and a week into the training, no crate accidents or anything.

Thanks so much everyone! Lots of great advice.