New puppy potty training questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New puppy potty training questions

DefaultNew puppy potty training questions

We just got a new puppy Bailey who is 8 weeks old today. We both work full time so she is grated from 7am until someone some to take her out at 11am. Then she is crated from 12 until I get home at 4pm. After that she is out of her crate the rest of the night until we go to bed around 11pm. I usually get her up around 5am to pee. As a new lab owner I do have a few questions.

1. We have been trying to crate train her; however, she still pees a little in her crate and also still pees in the house. We try to take her out as much as possible when we are home (after eating, sleeping, playing, etc.). Any suggestions on how to get her to not pee in the house?

2. Also, when will she start to learn that she needs to go out and go to the door or wine to go out?

3. I have been having some difficulty walking her on the leash and getting her to go out. I read one of the posts that recommended leaving the leash on her while she is in the house to get her used to it and that seems to be working a little bit. However, she often does not even want to go outside to walk. We start to go out the door and she sits down or pulls on the leash. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any feedback/advice for our little Bailey

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New puppy potty training questions

welcome. you have to remember that she's a BABY. IT's going to take some time.

First, how much room do you give her in the crate? IT should be divided off to only provide enough room for her to turn around and lay down in. Next, puppies bladders are small. When they are awake, they will go a lot. You should take her our frequently to try and avoid accidents. At the end of everything, you should take her out. After she eats, outside, after she plays or is winding down from playing, outside, when she wakes up, outside, etc. Tell her "go potty!" and then praise the crap out of her when she goes outside.

She'll learn to signal you or you will start picking up signs as you get used to each other.

As for walking her on leash, where are you walking her? She shouldn't be outside of your yard until you get her at least 3 sets of shots....preferably fully vaccinated. She won't want to walk too far at this point.

Read the sticky in this forum called our best advise. In the meantime, enjoy her, they grow fast.

Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Dani is right on. Make sure the crate is small enough for her to only turn around and lay down. Also I normally remove any bedding as it will just get peed on or chewed up and neither is good. Typically they say they can hold it for their age in months +1 so she's 2 months she should be able to hold it 3 hours but that's really a rough estimate and each dog is different. Mocha did fine for 4-5 hours in her crate during the day right away but I know others that don't. Leaving her leash on while in the house is a good way to get her used to having it on. Play a game with it take some small treats or peices of kibble and hold on to the leash and walk a few steps away when she comes to you praise and treat and repeat. Make is positive for her to be by you while on the leash it should help some with loose leash walking and recall later too. After she gets it some then praise and back a way a few times before treating. No walks really until she's vaccinated though but you can practice in your yard or house first.

When she's awake take her out every 30 min to an hour at first preventing the accidents is key to her catching on. Try to keep her with you at all times or in her crate if you can't watch her to help prevent them you'll catch on soon what the warning signs are that she has to go. Some people on here have taught their dogs to ring a set of bells by the door when they need to go out. Mocha just started going to the door on her own when she was maybe 4 months or so but every dog will be different and have a different way of telling you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

thanks for the tips, i'll be getting a 8week old pup myself on the 18th. all i have been doing on here is read!

sarah is offline Senior Member

I agree with Dani on all her points in her post. We took Milly out on the leash (picked her up to take her if she refused) and praised like crazy people when she was done and gave her a small piece of food STRAIGHT after she was done (usually 1 piece of kibble) in the end she'd run out when we'd say "Do Wee's" and then run to us for her treat when she was done. Every time we took her out ON her leash for Wee's I rang a bell stuck on the back door and said "time for Wee's Milly" and after she was done there was no playtime outside, it was straight back inside so Milly got the correlation of "bells + wee's + lead means relieve myself!"

Now at 5 Months old, Milly rings the bell on her own when she has to go outside to relieve herself.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Thanks everyone for the advice. We had not accidents in the crate or the house yesterday so that was great. I tried taking her out every 30 minutes instead of every hour and that seemed to work better. We will see how she does today.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by abbers12
    Thanks everyone for the advice. We had not accidents in the crate or the house yesterday so that was great. I tried taking her out every 30 minutes instead of every hour and that seemed to work better. We will see how she does today.
    Once you know their routine (ie: as you said 30 mins works well for you) then you will have lots of success when you stick to their routine of when they have to go.

Good work!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Good luck. We're going through this with the 3 we still have from our litter. Fortunately they do not have accidents in their crates at night, and during the day when no one is home, they are penned in together with papers still. I am finding less and less mess in there as they learn to hold it better. Pups don't have full control of their bladder and bowels until about 16 weeks, so you just have to do the best you can.

It's really hard with 3 as I'll invariably be watching them, see 2, and the 3rd is in the corner dropping off a poo. It usually signals me to get the other 2 out quickly, but we are having alot more accidents than we did when we just had one pup. In about a month we're going to get the carpets professionally cleaned and in the meantime, THANK doG for Nature's Miracle.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

After you do the usual cleaning of the pee spot, be sure you use either OTC hydrogen peroxide OR "Nature's Miracle" to take away any lingering odor, which we can't sense but they do and which continually calls out: "This is a great spot -- Pee here!"
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I remember taking Odie out every half hour. I would watch the clock constantly to make sure I didn't miss it. It really shouldn't take long at all for the puppy to get the point. The whole idea behind housebreaking is to make the dog understand that going to the bathroom outside is a really good idea because it gets reward and praise. It is very very important that you don't scold a puppy that has an accident in the house. If you scold the puppy, all they learn is that you think going potty in general is bad. Then they will sneak off or do it in the house while you arn't looking. But like I said redundancy is the key. The more often you take the dog outside and praise and reward for eliminating in the right place, the faster things will come together. Some dogs will learn to ring a bell, others paw at the door, and others whine. Odie doesn't do any of those. He just goes to the door, sites down and stares at you. But like somebody else said, you'll get to know the signs your dog is giving you wether you use a bell or not. good luck. And don't be surprised if it seems like your dog is houstrained, and then they have an accident. Odie went 4 weeks once without an accident, and he was going to the door. But then one day he stood in front of me and pissed all over the kitchen floor. Who knows why. Maybe he forgot? The point is, it takes time and patience. But the good news is all dogs are housetrainable. Some are more difficult than others. But it'll happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast