bowling for babies...am I doing the right thing?

Thread: bowling for babies...am I doing the right thing?

Defaultbowling for babies...am I doing the right thing?

Leonidas is doing so well and is pretty well behaved for a puppy. I also have a 1 year old who loves him too. The only problem is that sometimes Leonidas gets excited and bowls her over. I don't think he means too, he is just playing but doesn't realize she is not nearly as strong as he is (17+ lbs at 7 weeks old, not sure how much he weighs now at 10 weeks). Of course my daughter falls over and gets scared and cries, then the dog cries. What I usually do is put him in his crate or outside for a few minutes so I can calm down my daughter and also so he can calm down a little. Not as punishment or anything but just to get everyone under control...is this OK to do or is there something else I should be doing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: bowling for babies...am I doing the right thing?

I have a daughter about the same age..a little older. We have baby gates and would seperate the two of them until Wrigley calmed down. I would take the dog and my wife had the baby! It works well but I'm not sure if it's a long term solution..but..Wrigley hasn't done it for awhile (..knock on wood...)

OOPS..forgot to put the main part that I think really works...

I don't what kind of flexibility you have with your schedule, but I actually wrote down when Wrigley would get in one of those moods and I found a trend..so what I did was tailor his excercise/training time an hour before he was gonna get in one of those moods...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

that's a great idea, he seems to get really hyper just before bedtime and after we get back from our walk...I will try that... putting him out in the backyard (fenced in) until he calms down also helps. I think he is also starting to realize it's a bad thing when he does this. My daughter starts crying and he slinks away and just stares at me like he knows what he did. We are in puppy kindergarden too so hopefully that will help. Any other suggestions are welcome on dealing with a baby AND a puppy.

Hi! First, I love the name you chose for your pup! So does my husband!

We don't have kids yet but we do have a 5 month old puppy and a 2.5 year old lab. When the puppy is starting to get overtired (ie: after a walk, in the afternoon, right before bedtime), he starts getting really hyper and misbehaving and we put him in his crate, which is totally fine to do. Sometimes they don't know when to stop and take a nap and by putting him in his crate, you're showing him his "spot" where he can go and rest. Usually our puppy will conk out after a few minutes in the crate. I think you're doing the right thing!

I do have kids and had adult dogs when mine were babies. Puppy + baby can be very trying - both need tremendous attention and have lots of learning to do.

The puppy and baby should never be left alone together. If the baby is playing with the puppy you need to be right there on the floor next to them. If you cannot be, the puppy should be under your direct control - as in on a leash (tied to your waist). The puppy is going to have to learn to behave properly with the baby very quickly - particularly since this will be a large dog. Teach and reinforce basics (sit, down, stay, leave it) a lot - intermittently all day. The better you can control the puppy the better his relationship with the baby will be.

I don't think isolating the puppy for being a puppy (knocking the baby over) is going to send the dog the correct messsage. When the baby is crying I would just pick her up. The dog should be ignored (attention withdrawn) when he is not behaving as you would like. If he is wildly acting up - he is either tired, hungry or needs exercise. Time is the crate is probably not going to fill those needs.

If you are not already doing so, a morning and afternoon walk with puppy and baby in stroller will help the puppy get some of the crazies out of his system. He will be better behaved in the house because of it.