weight for puppy?

Thread: weight for puppy?

twiggygames8 is offline Junior Member

Defaultweight for puppy?

My lab puppy weighted 22.5 lbs at the vet at 12 1/2 weeks old is this average weight for a lab puppy? also is there a prediction with these stats of how much he will weight when he is full grown based on a healthy diet?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: weight for puppy?

There are so many Labs and so many different breed lines (e.g., many "bench" lines and "field" lines) that there is no one characteristic rate of development.

Some Labs mature at an adult weight of 60 lbs (or 20% of that more or less) while some mature at 125 lbs (or more).

My Puff weighed 6 lbs at 9 weeks age and matured at 63 lbs.

SO, there's no prediction true for all Labs.

Below is a copy of a post I've often previously made:

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````

There's no meaningful average for Lab puppy weight gain because there are so many different lines and some young adults level off at 50 lbs (or less) while others level out at 125 lbs (or more).

I measured my Puff's weight gain regularly. Her rate of growth followed a curve similar to the silhouette of the NW quadrant of a US/Can football when its noses are pointed EW.

Reading off her growth curve (wght X Day's Age) I plotted:

At 65 days, she weighed 6 lbs. (65 dys = 2 mos, 5 dys)

At 105 days, 20 lbs. (3 mos, 15 dys)

At 145 days, 31 lbs. (4 mos, 25 dys)

At 185 days, 42 lbs. (6 mos, 5 dys)

At 225 days, 47 lbs. (7 mos, 15 dys)

At 265 days, 52 lbs. (8 mos, 25 dys)

At 305 days, 54 lbs. (10 mos, 5 dys)

A friend has a male Lab from a BYB; he was born on the very same date as Puff and always weighed twice what Puff weighed at the same age.

But I've seen a study published (in JAVMA) by vets at Seeing Eye in N.J., on growth rates for the Lab line they breed. Instead of being a concave curve like Puff's, theirs is sinusoidal (a stretched out S-shape): their Labs initially gain weight at a slower rate than Puff and her friend did for about the first 5 months, then accelerate more rapidly, and then level off.

So -- it all depends. There's no one pattern. Perhaps your Lab breeder has typical data for your line?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

hikingchick is offline Member

No advice but Leonidas weighed 17 lbs at 8 weeks but he lean and healthy, just a big pup. I will be curious to other responses too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

suej Guest

Hi
    Brody is 14 weeks on Wednesday. He weighs a little over 40 lbs. When we went to the vet I was concered that he was eating to much and growing to fast. The vet said he looked great and keep feeding him like we are. He was 7 weeks when we got him and he was about 18 lbs. He is on the big side. Our neighbors just got a lab puppy and at 12 weeks he weighs about 12 lbs. They look like there months apart instead of weeks apart. They are both beautiful puppies.
    Good luck with you puppy!!
    Sue
    Attached Images Attached Images

sarah is offline Senior Member

Milly is 5 months old and 31 pounds.

She's quite small for a lab, she's quite lean and long-legged but the vet advises me that she's gorgeous and in perfect health

regards
    Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

She's quite small for a lab, she's quite lean and long-legged but the vet advises me that she's gorgeous and in perfect health
    Sarah, that's almost exactly what Puff weighed at that age. If Milly follows the same developmental as Puff, then Milly will have an adult weight of about 62 lbs/28 kg. That's within the American LRC written "standard" but many (most?) US Labs are going well over that standard (unfortunately, IMO)
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    Sarah, that's almost exactly what Puff weighed at that age. If Milly follows the same developmental as Puff, then Milly will have an adult weight of about 62 lbs/28 kg. That's within the American LRC written "standard" but many (most?) US Labs are going well over that standard (unfortunately, IMO)
    There are alot of large labs in Australia too. We chose Milly's breeder specifically for how her dogs looked and weighed. They are smack bang in the center of the standard for lab sizes in the Land of Oz and the females are generally small enough to still pick up! I think Kate/Baloo mentioned that she liked that Baloo was small in a previous thread similar to this topic because she can still pick him up if needed and I think Milly will be the same! I am happy with her size and an added bonus is that she still looks like a puppy at 5 months!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia