how to discourage nipping/mouthing hands in a puppy?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to discourage nipping/mouthing hands in a puppy?

Defaulthow to discourage nipping/mouthing hands in a puppy?

New lab owner here to a beautiful sweet lab puppy named Leonidas. He is 9 weeks old. Training for the most part is going quite well...except how do you discourage nipping and mouthing hands? We have children so I really don't want him to think this is OK but I am not sure how to correct this behavior. Is it just a puppy teething thing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: how to discourage nipping/mouthing hands in a puppy?

No, this is not a teething thing. All puppies do this, and the sooner you discourage the behavior the less of a problem it will be.

If you are playing with the puppy and he is biting you, even playfully, you need to give him a firm "NO BITE" and the play must stop immediatley. Even if it's just for a minute. It often helps to hold the puppys mouth shut while saying NO BITE. The puppy will quickly learn that it is not an appropriate way to play.

My puppy is 4 months old now, and you can stick your hand right in his mouth, and he will not even think to bite down. He knows that the play will stop, and I'll get angry.

sarah is offline Senior Member

we used to squeal "ooww" when Milly nipped us and play stopped. She learnt very quick that if she nipped, we made a loud yucky noise and we stopped playing with her. So she stopped nipping.. we didnt have to hold her mouth closed.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think every pup is different. Our Dexter is almost six months old now and still very mouthy. We have tried everything from leaving the room to holding the mouth etc etc. He still bites. We are hoping with continued corrections he will grow out of it.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

check out "our best advice" sticky at the top, and also look for any threads by Angus Fangus, who had a world-class gator-labpuppy

suej Guest

Hi
    I also had a problem with our puppy and when I asked the vet he laughed and said all puppies do this and at around 4-5 months they should stop. He said when they get mouthy give them a chew toy if that doesnt work put them in the crate so they learn its unacceptable behavior. He also said its very normal and there is not a hole lot you can do. Good Luck. Our Brody is almost 13 weeks and he is still mouthy but not as bad as he was. We also have little ones an 11 yr old , 4 year old, and 2 1/2 year old. The kids get scared when Brody starts to jump and bite them. If we are not able to be right there with them we will crate Brody for his safety as well as theres. Well Good luck with you new puppy.
    Sue
    Sue
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the advice, we have tried "NO BITE" and stopping play and that at least gets him to calm down for the time being. We will see how it goes. We also started Puppy Classes :educated: today so hopefully that will help.

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by suej
    Hi
    I also had a problem with our puppy and when I asked the vet he laughed and said all puppies do this and at around 4-5 months they should stop. He said when they get mouthy give them a chew toy if that doesnt work put them in the crate so they learn its unacceptable behavior. He also said its very normal and there is not a hole lot you can do. Good Luck. Our Brody is almost 13 weeks and he is still mouthy but not as bad as he was. We also have little ones an 11 yr old , 4 year old, and 2 1/2 year old. The kids get scared when Brody starts to jump and bite them. If we are not able to be right there with them we will crate Brody for his safety as well as theres. Well Good luck with you new puppy.
    Sue
    Sue
    They should stop, but they wont...not by themselves, if jumping and biting are not corrected with training they will always do it. If you dont want an adult biting and jumping, nip it now.

sarah is offline Senior Member

You might also want to be careful putting a 9 week puppy in his crate as punishment too. The crate slowly then becomes a "bad" area and you can have problems with your puppy accepting the crate as a place to be for long periods of time. Puppies can then get very worked up being in there and make themselves sick etc...

I would work on the "no bite" and turn your back, squeal "ooww" etc and use the crate as punishment as a VERY last resort option. JMO!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

The thing that I think is most meaningful to puppies is what would happen to them if they were still in the litter. The puppy sibling victim of the "too rough play/bite" would squeal LOUDLY and then withdraw play. They understand that. It is a logical consequence. Being put in a crate is not logical, IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast