Head Halters

Thread: Head Halters

DefaultHead Halters

Hello,

Has anyone successfully introduced a head halter to an adult lab?

If so, how did you do it?

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Head Halters

I much prefer the front clip harnesses (sensation/sens-ible or easy walk) to the head halters, unless you're dealing with aggression.

But if you want to use a head halter, watch this video titled "conditioning an emotional response" here

http://abrionline.org/videos.php

Kaytris,

Thank your for the link...it was extremely helpful. I am working on "on-leash aggression" so it seems the head halter would be very appropriate.

Thank you again!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My reading of JL posts over the last 5 years says that there are a number of Labs that do not tolerate a head halter with any training.

MY Lab (Puff) tolerated the GL head halter moderately well.

We reached an accomodation in which I left the Over The Muzzle Strap (OTMS) loose enough so that whenever she was well behaved, I quickly lifted it off her muzzle, quickly putting it back on whenever her behavior warranted it. (If left loose, a crooked finger can almost instantly convert it from one of those states to the other.)

MOST of the time, it was off.

Nevertheless, her muzzle developed white streaks (loss of pigment) under the area the OTMS lay.

I switched to a GL "Easy Walk" and it's much more acceptable, much safer (less subject to neck injury), much better all the way around.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Is this the same as a "halti"? That's why dog walker suggested I get for Macy, but I'm not sure what it is.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

kaytris is offline Senior Member

yep, head halters are definitely a good choice when dealing with leash aggression....

Head halters are the generic word for halti's or gentle leaders (and other similar products..) as above, the front clip harnesses are better (IMO) for non-aggressive pulling dogs...

We purchased the easy walk harness and that has made a huge difference in they way Denali walks with us. We never tried the head harness do to what I had read on them. Would strongly reccomend the easy walk.

Mocha absolutley hated both the halti and gentle leader even after trying to positivly introduce them to her. She just hated it.
    Zeus tolorates it much better. He still doesn't care for the thing but doesn't do the rubbing his face on the ground throwing a fit like Mocha did. I do use it for him occasionally because he is dog agressive with new dogs and it's a great way to control him while introducing them. Normally after the initial introduction he's fine with them.
    For every day walks if I just take one dog at a time I use the easy walk harnesses for them.