Jumping Problem

Thread: Jumping Problem

DefaultJumping Problem

I can't seem to keep Odie from jumping up. When he jumps up on me I either turn my head the other way, or just completly turn around and ignore him. Then he gets attention when he's on all fours again. My renter does the same, but he isn't as consistent and will often just tell him "no" when he jumps.

I have to admit that it has gotten a lot better since I got him. The jumping isn't nearly as often. But the problem is mostly when we are in public. He tries to jump on everybody at the vet, and anybody new that he encounters. I can't exactly tell strangers to not pet him when he jumps.

I've so many well behaved labs that don't jump. If you have one of these good dogs, how did you do it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Jumping Problem

I make Milly sit before anyone can pat her... then if she stays sitting while they pat her I treat her. She has never been a jumper really though... When she sits in public with strangers I hold her collar while she's sitting too so people can pat her. I also ask them, "if she jumps can you stop patting her until she's sitting again" People generally oblige. IF she didn't stop jumping i'd say "i'm sorry but she isn't behaving, do you mind not patting her anymore because we're trying to teach her manners". Most folks don't mind.. they understand and think it's great that i'm teaching her to be well-behaved.

Took a while but she got it. I now specifically on weekends take her to places where there are other people, kids especially. She likes to lick them and i haven't been able to control that but i still think it's better than jumping.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

A "sit for petting" is usually highly successful. If a dog is sitting, it cannot be jumping at the same time. It is eliminating a bad behavior by replacing it with a good one. Before you show ANY attention to him at all, always ask that he sits. Only when he's sitting do you greet him.

How big is he? For large dogs, the whole "ignore" routine often just doesn't work anymore because they are too big and too persistent to get a reaction out of you. For such dogs, I put a leash on them, let it drag to the ground. I step on it so that it if the dog were to jump, it'd get a self correction by its own leash which is attached to the floor.

For outings, I'd suggest working with a friend or someone you know at first. Someone that will listen to your instruction snad help you out. Reinforce the "sit for petting". As you approach someone, always ask that he sits. The othe rperson is only to pet him when he's sitting. if he gets up, the person should immediately go away. It'd be great for the other person to also have treats. The treats come from the other person ONLY when he's sitting. He'll soon learn the only way to get attention is if he greets people by OUR silly human rules.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

If people aren't cooperating and keep giving him attention when he jumps, then YOU have to turn around and leave. Yep, people are going to think you're terribly rude, but you need to make sure the consequences are clear.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tessa_s212
    A "sit for petting" is usually highly successful. If a dog is sitting, it cannot be jumping at the same time. It is eliminating a bad behavior by replacing it with a good one. Before you show ANY attention to him at all, always ask that he sits. Only when he's sitting do you greet him.

How big is he? For large dogs, the whole "ignore" routine often just doesn't work anymore because they are too big and too persistent to get a reaction out of you. For such dogs, I put a leash on them, let it drag to the ground. I step on it so that it if the dog were to jump, it'd get a self correction by its own leash which is attached to the floor.

For outings, I'd suggest working with a friend or someone you know at first. Someone that will listen to your instruction snad help you out. Reinforce the "sit for petting". As you approach someone, always ask that he sits. The othe rperson is only to pet him when he's sitting. if he gets up, the person should immediately go away. It'd be great for the other person to also have treats. The treats come from the other person ONLY when he's sitting. He'll soon learn the only way to get attention is if he greets people by OUR silly human rules.
    ditto!

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

He tries to jump on everybody at the vet, and anybody new that he encounters. I can't exactly tell strangers to not pet him when he jumps.
    You sure can tell strangers not to pet him when he jumps. I've done it lots of times. Explain your dog is in training and people are pretty good about respecting that. If you don't he'll quickly learn he can jump up on people he doesn't know, but not you, or other people he knows. I agree with others....work on the sit and don't let anyone pet him or even talk to him until he's sitting.

Hang in there!

Something that has been a lifesaver for us is keeping Maggie on a lead in the house and if she jumps up we step on her leash so she can't jump up. It takes practice to get it right, took me about a week, but once you get the hang of it it can be very effective, at least it was for us! She jumped up so fast and hard one time she made me bite right through my tongue! It can be dangerous to have a jumper!

Well i have had Jazz a week now and she jumps up at the sofa when we sit there i put her down and after the 3rd time she normally stops so just keep doing what ya doing im sure he will soon learn it just takes time but i no how u feel coz 1st thing in the morning a excited puppy jumping up is all u need lol x