water bowl problems

Thread: water bowl problems

scutter is offline Senior Member

Defaultwater bowl problems

I cant seem to find a way to keep water in the bowl with this new pup. The bowl is anchored on the side wall and is water for both dogs but the pup always splashes around in the water and ends up emptying the water out and making a mess. End result is that both dogs don't have water.

Any suggestions?

The bowl holds about 1 gallon of water. Both dogs are sharing a sleeping part of the kennel that is about 34" x 9' at the far end is the doggie door that goes out into the fenced in yard area. This area is sort of like a long narrow closet with a door that I access from the garage. I don't want to take up too much floor space but even if I had a large tub I think that the pup would splash around in a tub.

Thanks

Scutter

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You can get water bottles (think hamster cage) and hang it on the side of the kennel (maybe have 2 of them since you kennel both dogs together).

The puppy sounds like she is bored. What else does she have to do in the kennel? Anything mentally stimulating? Is she getting out for exercise (fetch or walks) daily?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

lkb987 is offline Senior Member

Um........ It sounds like your puppy IS a little bored. You could probably get her some more toys to play with. Like a Kong toy, they are very durable. It also sounds like she likes the water..... You could get a small tub, put it outside, and fill it with water so she could get her swimming out of the way so she doesn't have to roll around in the water bowl to get wet!
    Hope you figure something out,
    Laura
    PS- The Kong toys are a little more expensive than the other rubber dog toys, but they last a WHOLE lot longer than the cheap rubber/cloth toys. Trust me I think if they last when having been ran over by the lawn mower, AND been used by 3 Labs........ one of these labs being Pit/Lab.....I think that it is worth the money.

Liy Chelsea Blinson

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

scutter is offline Senior Member

Defaultwater bowl problem

the kennel/closet leads to a large fenced in area 40'x50' that they have access to. I will try some more toys and see if the plastic pool will help thanks

Scutter

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like puppy stuff to me!

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

kaytris is offline Senior Member

you can get buckets with hooks to hang on the sides of crates or kennel runs - that will minimize the paw-splashing. I wouldn't use a hamster-style bottle with a dog, they don't drink in the same way that rodents do.