Any tips for teaching an older dog to walk on a leash?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for teaching an older dog to walk on a leash?

AceofCakes Guest

DefaultAny tips for teaching an older dog to walk on a leash?

the dog is about 5 years old and has never been on a leash before. It's not Ace. I'm hoping to rehome him in the near future or atleast to up his chances at not dying in a shelter. He's a semi-stray dog who only sorta trusts people. He comes up and gets fed and will tolerate some petting but really that's about it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Any tips for teaching an older dog to walk on a leash?

I think walking on the leash is a bonding experience in itself and will help him trust people more.

The key is to stop the walk when the dog is pulling, and to treat the dog when he's doing what you want him to do. It takes awhile. Be patient

sarah is offline Senior Member

When Milly pulls I stop, make her sit (sometimes even make her heel) and then we go again. If she pulls again I say "no pull Milly" we stop, sit, heel and start again. It took us an hour to get 200m the first 2 lessons... then she started getting it. When she walks nicely I treat her... when we get to a curb and the road I make her sit, wait and then say "lets go" when there are no cars and it's safe to cross the road. I ALWAYS take my treat pouch on walks. It comes in handy big time for walk and heel training.

You can also buy Gentle Leaders and other leads that are designed to help stop a dog from pulling.

cheers
    Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

A dog that has never been on leash probably is not to the point in which its ahead of you dragging you. I don't believe this is what the person needs help with. If the dog doesn't accept leash/collar very well, then you should NOT put a Gentle Leader on it. They are not as Gentle as they appear, and they often are extremely uncomfortable for even confident, stable dogs, let alone a fearful, timid dog that was a stray.

Does he have a collar on? Have you tried snapping a very small lightweight leash to his collar and just let him drag it? Let him drag it whenever he goes(careful that it doesn't catch on anything), and give him plenty of treats and praise and affection whenever he has it on. When you take the leash off, ignore him. When you put it back on, more treats, praise, affection. He'll learn that having the leash on brings good things. The next step is to be able to hold the leash. When you put the leash on, don't drop it. Try to lure him with you holding onto the leash with treats or toys. Try to get him following you.

AceofCakes Guest

well he can't drag a leash around as the other dogs would start trying to drag him around. I've been thinking of crate training him so I could go to the park to do this away from the other dogs. I'm trying to work with one stray dog at a time until I can get them all rehomed then I gonna start work on the pack down the street. One new dog that someone dropped off awhile ago wasn't even on the road overnight and got hit by a car. They are starting to get more drunk teenagers out there(everyone they've pulled from the ditch has been a teenager) and the dogs don't understand why the cars aren't acting like normal cars and staying on the road. If animal control would come out it'd be easy to round all the dogs into a pen but animal control refuses to come out. I've seen beer bottles that have been thrown at these poor dogs by people who come out to those roads to party.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Is the dog still running loose, or do you have it in your house?

Quote Originally Posted by AceofCakes
    well he can't drag a leash around as the other dogs would start trying to drag him around. I've been thinking of crate training him so I could go to the park to do this away from the other dogs. I'm trying to work with one stray dog at a time until I can get them all rehomed then I gonna start work on the pack down the street. One new dog that someone dropped off awhile ago wasn't even on the road overnight and got hit by a car. They are starting to get more drunk teenagers out there(everyone they've pulled from the ditch has been a teenager) and the dogs don't understand why the cars aren't acting like normal cars and staying on the road. If animal control would come out it'd be easy to round all the dogs into a pen but animal control refuses to come out. I've seen beer bottles that have been thrown at these poor dogs by people who come out to those roads to party.

AceofCakes - where do you live??

AceofCakes Guest

well this isn't around my house. I live in town. this is out by where I keep my horse. incidently I've seen splotches where someone shot my horse with a paintball gun.

Quote Originally Posted by AceofCakes
    well this isn't around my house. I live in town. this is out by where I keep my horse. incidently I've seen splotches where someone shot my horse with a paintball gun.
    yes but where? Country, Suburb etc?

AceofCakes Guest

suburbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast